Making a wood burning stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
Really interested to see how this develops - thanks. Once found 3 dumped caravan gas bottles (the really tall orange ones) and vented them but where i was storing them dumped them thinking they had been abandoned!!! had, had the idea of making architectural chimanea for the garden - a bit more robust with extreme winter frosts!

I'll get some photos up when i get stuck in with the cutting, it might be a while though quite a bit of work on at the moment :D

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Take the valve out, fill with water, put valve back in hand tight, turn bottle upside down and drill a 2mm pilot hole where you're going to mount a leg or summat. Now remove the valve again and the water comes out a lot more smoothly than it does just tipping it out of the valve hole.

I made one a few years back - still does sterling service as a patio heater. Going to make another for my garage later this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9FPzRgLo5U Hinges

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnFWh6oeQaQ Getting the powder coat off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScXKOeyTKQ8 Almost there

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Does anyone want a bottle?

If you have a larger size ie the 20+ Kg then yes please.
Looking at the size of the butane bottles I have at home, for my project it looks like I really need the longer bottle.
I could make two with what I have, but now I'm in two minds between a stove and an alter fire.

One question though, what is the chimney stack made of?

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
About the "filling with water" bit - I was told some time ago to pour a little liquid soap/washing up liquid in first,
then fill with water.... supposedly resolves the need to leave for an extended time before cutting.
Any opinions on this..?
(I haven't tried it - - yet..)

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Had another thought (night shifts are dangerous for this) how about using a beer keg or would the metal be too soft/thin would be easier to carry around as a portable type.

Last edited:

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
I made a nice stove with an empty oil drum but that's not part of my story. I have a buddy who cut into an empty drum with an angle grinder, it blew up and he got second degree burns to 3/4 of his body. He was in hospital for about 7 months then got a bone infection, they had to remove almost 1/2 of his ribs to save him. I have another aquaintance who was welding a hole in a gas tank that wasn't properly steamed out first. When it blew it almost took off the top of his head and you'd be amazed talking to him while trying not to look at the scar across his face-it's pretty bad.

So the moral of the story is fill any vessel with water to the brim, and soapy warm water is the best supposedly. It doesn't take much gas to make a big boom and the smallest spark is all it takes, yes even a hack saw.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
I'm amazed to see aluminum beer kegs here, in Canada they are all stainless steel and when cut up can be made into all kinds of cool things!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE