Making a sheath from denim and resin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jollo74

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Hi folks,
In my recent thread I had asked for advice on how to make a sheath for my daughter's knife (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68707)

Toddy came up with the brilliant idea of doing it like this:
"...canvas, or denim, and soaked it in resin around the knife covered in clingfilm, that would dry to give a sound sheath that could be sanded and shaped."

Well, now that I have the epoxy resin I was wondering whether someone has already tried this or has some practical advice for me?

The resin I've bought hardens in 10-20 minutes (depending on the amount of hardener used).

If I'd just soak the denim wrapped around the clingfilm-protected knife and let it harden I'd assume that the clingfilm would remain glued to the inside of the sheath. And if I'd take out the knife before the resin has hardended I might deform the sheath and the kife wouldn't fit anymore after the resin has hardened?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance:D
Jörg

i think you might depending on the shape of the knife not be able to remove it Kydex when formed has one or 2 splits depending these allow the plastic to give and bend when the knife is removed and flex round and hold when its put in even with the splits you only need a little kydex past a locking point to hold it ans to much means it wont extract

a Pukko style thast basically a taper handle etc would probably be the best and come out but may not lock in and may need a secondary holding

Kydex is easier if its not tight enough you can selectively heat and bend it to hold tighter or easier etc

i think I remember Dave Budd mentioning he might try it and see but hes a busy guy and not sure if hes tryed yet

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE