Making a rope from string.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
What different methods are there of making rope from string?
How do you do them?
What are the pro's and con's of each method (asuming same string used for each type)

Thanks

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
well the 2 i can think of is making the rope in the same way as the string ie twisted strands and the other is to braid the string as many strands as you like depending on the thickness you want. dont know pro's and con's but should imagine it'll be very theraputic wiling away afew hours braiding :D :D :D

tom

browndrake

Feb 4, 2006
Arizona, USA
The 'boy scout' rope twister works pretty well.

there is also a jig that you can make with three hooks, attached to a handle, which you turn to twist the rope. The scout jigs are easier to build but the other is turns a tighter rope more easily.

I will get some pics put up in the next day or two, to see how it is built.

You can also twist rope starting with sigle strand, twisting and doubling back on self. You can keep twisting and doubling until desired thickness.

Which method I use depends on what size and kind of rope I want and where I am at.

For the best quality, tightest and longest ropes, I use my rope jig... For a quick job or teaching scouts, I will often use a jig like the above posted pics. If I just need something small or if I am in the hills, I usually just twist the strands.

My brother's and I were up in the mountains some time ago and decided to go fishing. We twisted yucca into line, whittled some stick hooks, cought some bugs, then were off fishing. We had brown trout for dinner.

I have also twisted fibers into long double stranded strands and then used either of the above jigs to twist them into three standed rope.

browndrake

Feb 4, 2006
Arizona, USA
here are pictures of a rope maker that we built to make larger ropes. We made one about 4 cm diameter and 8 meters long.

rope1.jpg

rope2.jpg

rope3.jpg

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
browndrake said:
The 'boy scout' rope twister works pretty well.

there is also a jig that you can make with three hooks, attached to a handle, which you turn to twist the rope. The scout jigs are easier to build but the other is turns a tighter rope more easily.

I've got one of those three hook rope makers - belonged to my g-father. I've made rope from inner bark of basswood using the three hook and also by rolling the strands on my thigh. The three hook method worked better, but probably because I haven't done it the other way too often.

To prepare basswood bark for cordage, peel bark when tree is new cut and place bark under water for ten days. Outer bark will then easily slough from inner bark.

Basswood bark makes a very strong rope.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE