Making a knife from a file.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
So I met stone of the regulars in Jan and have been inspired to make a knife. Got my hands on some knackered files from work. Anyone in the north east willing to meet up and show me the ropes?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Other than two old files nowt lol

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Mick,...you have a a BBQ??

get them annealed first dude...

1. light the bbq,...
2. bury them in the coals
3. get them cherry red ,. (utilise a hair dryer if need be)
4. let then cool as slowly as poss,...i just left the bbq to fizzle out overnight,....

now you can work them,....

a hacksaw with rough them out and a nice file will get a decent shape and bevels,...

a normal drill will put holes in the tang

and i KNOW you got access to some wood for the scales,...hahaha

bear in mind i,m a noooooob but if you want more just ask

Stu

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Mick,...you have a a BBQ??

get them annealed first dude...

1. light the bbq,...
2. bury them in the coals
3. get them cherry red ,. (utilise a hair dryer if need be)
4. let then cool as slowly as poss,...i just left the bbq to fizzle out overnight,....

now you can work them,....

a hacksaw with rough them out and a nice file will get a decent shape and bevels,...

a normal drill will put holes in the tang

and i KNOW you got access to some wood for the scales,...hahaha

bear in mind i,m a noooooob but if you want more just ask

Stu

Make sure you harden them again and then anneal them before adding your scales

greensurfingbear

I have nothing in the way of tools for undertaking this task.....think a grinder and some files might be a good idea!

thanks for the Video link. Very useful.

i had to look up anneal and scales as I didn't know what you were talking about :p

Last edited:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
If you're not keen on leaving a BBQ burn down for whatever reason (little nippers running about etc). Grab yourself an old terracotta plant pot and fill it with vermiculite and bury the heated files in there to anneal.
It's a good way of cooling the steel very slowly which will make the blades easier to work, which = less elbow grease!

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
if you dont have much dosh GSB you could just get a file, flat 1 side rounded the other, you could do the whole thing with that, it is alot of work though.......

chris......

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
going to try and get the forge finished today, IF i do i will take pics and post up, my new anvil too................

best of luck with the blade mate, you will be fine, just take your time and ask if you need to mate......

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Tis a shame you aren't up near me mate - I'd be happy to help you out.

have a look at this thread: http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?118913-Yet-another-FIRST-KNIFE-thread...

necessity is the mother of invention. there are many people both on here and over on BB (myself included) who are either skint, lack tools or both.

I live in a flat in Glasgow most of the year. - I used a silicon gun as a vice to clamp together my stacked handle scandi.

I've done forging demo's out of a 3 quid BBQ from tesco. And the other night I wanted to do some file work on a new knife - so I duck taped it to my portable anvil. - Job jobbed :D

All you really need is a couple of files and time. No doubt you have already done a search on here for similar threads.

best of luck

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE