Making a DPM cotton jacket waterproof?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Just wandering has anyone tried to turn a normal DPM army jacket into Wax Cotton since don’t want to be wearing my Driza-Bone jacket when hunting and my other waterproofs are either bright blue or light gray neither of which idea for stalking the bunnies.

Last edited:

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I don't see a problem with that, if its cotton it should wax up, should it not. Actually thinking about it, what a cracking idea. You've see the price of wax coats etc, got one myself from Edinburgh woolen mill for £70 and that was half price in a sale.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Depends on the weave of the fabric whether or not if it can be made rainproof by waxing. Hold the fabric up to the light, preferably the sun, & if you can see pin point dots of light between the threads in the weave then no matter how much gunk you apply, rain will come through. If you don't see any light twixt the weave then it might be worth a go. Lou's suggestion of wearing your disco waterproofs under the DPM jacket seems like a good idea to me though.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
That's why the dpm gortex jackets don't have pockets in if you look, they were supposed to be worn under the dpm cotton jacket. Because then you don't get that tell tail swoosh swoosh when waking around trying to be silent as your waterproof rub together.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Barbour now do a dpm wax jecket!!

I have always wanted to make a cotton dpm jacket into a field type coat but I have never found a good fitting surplus jacket to start with!!

They reintroduced a design from the late 70s. Kind of barn door closed as the MOD changed to Crye designed MTP. Nikwax spray worked well on my issue jacket, the idea of wearing the waterproof under the smock is still a good idea. Too many pockets with too much bulging out though.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
That's why the dpm gortex jackets don't have pockets in if you look, they were supposed to be worn under the dpm cotton jacket. Because then you don't get that tell tail swoosh swoosh when waking around trying to be silent as your waterproof rub together.

<cough> Sleeve pockets <cough>

I was just given one by a mate last night, decent bit of kit.
In fact I'd go as far as to say that the new British army kit is generally of a higher standard than I've seen it before.

Fat Rog

Forager
Sep 30, 2012
Rotherham, S. Yorks
Nikwax or Fabsil is the stuff for this, it waterproofs tents so it'll do a jacket. Loads of the stuff on ebay and it doesn't cost too much :). Obviously it ain't gonna make a string vest waterproof, but for ex issue DPM stuff it works a treat.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Hmmm fleecy hand warmer pockets.

That's on the windproof polycotton jacket, just recently got one of those in MTP pattern as well. Now that is a well thought out nice jacket. My only fault is that the velcro catches on the netting of the pockets sometimes. The bumf says its coated with some nano material that makes it better at resisting dirt and water. Its more water resistant that I expected a polycotton jacket to be anyway. I expect its also low infra red emissivity but I can't say that makes a vast difference to me walking the dog through Gelt wood in the rain...

So far the Walter Mittys don't seem to have them either but the first time I see a 40 year old loser in one I'm putting it away never to be worn again. I'm also keeping away from mirrors, just in case.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
That's on the windproof polycotton jacket, just recently got one of those in MTP pattern as well. Now that is a well thought out nice jacket. My only fault is that the velcro catches on the netting of the pockets sometimes. The bumf says its coated with some nano material that makes it better at resisting dirt and water. Its more water resistant that I expected a polycotton jacket to be anyway. I expect its also low infra red emissivity but I can't say that makes a vast difference to me walking the dog through Gelt wood in the rain...

So far the Walter Mittys don't seem to have them either but the first time I see a 40 year old loser in one I'm putting it away never to be worn again. I'm also keeping away from mirrors, just in case.

Hahahhahahahaha!!!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I put barbour wax on my tilley hat which works fine, but ends up coming out after a few days of wear. With Ventile, which is 100% cotton I was told wax ruins it.
Nikwax do a cotton proof product for proofing cotton, polycotton and canvas.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Should the new MTP pattern even be on the open market ?, i thought it was restricted to service personel only. I say this as i would'nt want any site member to get in trouble.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE