Making a cosy for my bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gleams

Nov 20, 2006
Romford
I recently invested in a insulated klean kanteen to hold my coffee while i am out wandering. In an effort to keep the coffee warm for even longer and possibly to use as a hot water bottle when snuggling down in my bivy or hammock I want to make a cover for it.

I was thinking of buying a sheet of neoprene then sewing it to the shape i need.

Any recommendations relating to this mini project?

Is neoprene the best material?

If so what thickness?

Does any one have any experience of sewing neoprene? Is it easy to work with?

I think it needs to be a fine balancing act, as when i am out walking i want the heat to remain in the liquid but when sleeping I want the heat to escape the bottle to warm me up.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi,

I made one up , out of an old kip mat and rip stop nylon . will looks up the pic i took of it and post.

Topknot

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
You might want to experiment with something from a 99p/£1 shop. They've got lots of things in cloth-backed rubber (not sure if actually neoprene) including tablet cases and various sports joint-supports eg for your elbow. These are already in a tube-shape and probably likely to fit your Klean Kanteen. I made something similar for a steel bottle some time ago, but I can't find it just now to add a photo.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hi Gleams,
Have you though about using Reflectix type insulation? It works really well for pot cozy construction I'd imagine it would do the same for your canteen.

Something like this:

[video=youtube;gWJhPp2Rdjc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWJhPp2Rdjc[/video]

Gleams

Nov 20, 2006
Romford
Thanks for all your inputs.

I recently made a pot cosy for my billy cans and still have all the material to hand so I may try what you suggest copper_head.

I will also trawl the 99p shops at the weekend.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
neoprene will be better at night, it will chuck out some heat still i would think..... maybe do 2 or 3 thin layers for your brews then you can strip 1 or 2 off for night time to keep you warm....:):):):)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE