Making a cast of an ant colony

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That is beautiful!
My speakers are playing up so I did not hear why the Ants had to die ... or was it just they were in the way of a human wanting to get a cast of the nest?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That is beautiful!
My speakers are playing up so I did not hear why the Ants had to die ... or was it just they were in the way of a human wanting to get a cast of the nest?

The latter John, though fire ants aren't appreciated because of the mounds they make on lawns and the nasty nip you can get off of them when you disturb the colony

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The latter John, though fire ants aren't appreciated because of the mounds they make on lawns and the nasty nip you can get off of them when you disturb the colony

Hmmm - I am not realy in favour of any creature dying just for the entertainment of the human race... but that is a stunning object!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm - I am not realy in favour of any creature dying just for the entertainment of the human race... but that is a stunning object!

Fully agree. Its interesting philosophically how peoples minds work on things like this. I suspect they would not have considered pouring molten metal down a rabbit warren - but why are larger furry creatures entitled to a different standard?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Fully agree. Its interesting philosophically how peoples minds work on things like this. I suspect they would not have considered pouring molten metal down a rabbit warren - but why are larger furry creatures entitled to a different standard?
I agree 100%. It drives me crazy when people will eat beef but not rabbit, just because cows aren't "cute" it's fine to kill and eat them but not rabbits! I love both and all meat really :).

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
...but why are larger furry creatures entitled to a different standard?

As to why a different standard you don't hear the ants screaming as they burn up :rolleyes:

Fully agree. Its interesting philosophically how peoples minds work on things like this. I suspect they would not have considered pouring molten metal down a rabbit warren -

No... but they have poured concrete into a rabbit warren...

15:45 into the program
[video=youtube;3Fi-MqH7qko]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fi-MqH7qko[/video]

Last edited:

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I saw the casting last night and was horrified that the guy did it just to sell it as art.there were ants on the surface so I can only assume the hill was active.im not in favour

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
I think one is defendable as an object or project, but to make more to sell seems offensive.
Sol Lewitt (an artist) said that the test for the conceptual artist with a great idea is "Is this something I should make" and subsequent repeats fail that test for me.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
From an ecological point of view, the fire ant is an invasive species. There were none her prior to the 1930s, when they were introduced accidentally into the port of Moblie and spread across the continent from there. They're destructive of native species, particularly ground nesting birds and small mammals and reptiles, and have been fatal to humans as well, particularly small children playing outside (though very rarely) As a teenager, I personally recieved several hundred bites from a single incident falling across an active mound. During a flood, I saw a ball of them (about the size of a basketball) floating on the flood waters until they landed and attacked a calf.

The ball was similar to this one. http://claycoleman.tripod.com/4c3bcd30.jpg

It's not uncommon for them to drive herds of mammals back into flood waters to drown in such instances. It's also common for farmers totake advantage of this situation to control the fire ant population. They spray liquid detergent on the ball and surrounding water to reduse surface tension to the point that the ball sinks and drowns the colony.

The goal is eradication from the North American continent, but it seems unattainable since DDT has been banned.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE