Making a birch bark lean to shelter

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Birchbark shelters are extremely flammable. Indians here in the Americas used them because it was the best option they had, but a lot of them immolated themselves. They switched to canvas as soon as it was available. It's become something of a fad to build them again. I've heard them referred to as "Bush-Hippy Bonfires".

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
if its a garden shelter I would make the frame as usual cover it with a cheap green tarp then cover with foliage ,totally water proof so you can also store stuff under it when not in use but still looks as good as any natural shelter . that's just what I would do , upload a pic when you've made your shelter

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
if its a garden shelter I would make the frame as usual cover it with a cheap green tarp then cover with foliage ,totally water proof so you can also store stuff under it when not in use but still looks as good as any natural shelter . that's just what I would do , upload a pic when you've made your shelter

Yeah, I think unless I can find some decent bark to use I will probably do that. I was originally worried about the flammabilty of the polyester, but I guess as long as I build the frame strong enough, I don't think there will be much danger of the burning plastic falling on top of me whilst sleeping!

I will upload a pic as soon as I finish it but it's gona be a while! I'm in the process of digging up and leveling my garden as it slopes to one side atm and is very awkward to sleep on. Also the closest woods to where I live is a few miles away and I don't drive. This means having to collect a couple of pieces of shelter material a day lol......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE