Making a billy can

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I was going to have a search for vendors of billy cans. Unlike the zebra cans, I want a wider pan (i.e. more circular in cross-section) which is shallower. I have such billy cans, but the only problem is they do not enable hanging since they have no handles/wire. I tried to create some wire hangers with only two holes. Despite my best efforts the billy cans can still hang on-the-wonk, and I cannot fit the lids on.

So, I was wondering if you had any ideas for solving both these problems. Somebody gave me the idea of using three holes around the top of the can for extra stability - but that still does not allow lids. The lids have quite an overlap. Perhaps it's better to shorten the overlap? Or perhaps have the wires somehow go downwards and outwards before raising and joining above the pan with stiff wire? Anyway, ideas appreciated.

Cheers.

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Just a random thought from my sleepy brain but can you not push 2 screws through the 2 holes you have (screw head on inside of can) and fasten a nut on hte outside of the can. If the screws were a couple of inches long , wire could be fastened on the end of them allowing a pan lid to be used...

Doesnt help with the stability side of things but my brain cant cope with any more bright ideas right now.

:D

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Tatonka do billies that are shorter and wider than the Zebra versions, so they might be worth a look. OutdoorCode and Trek Direct sell them.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Biddlesby
Thought you may be interested in my home made billycans. I would post a photo but I don't have permission, not sure if this is because I haven't reached the required number of posts yet?

Until I can post a picture I'll try to explain, basically they are made from used Nescafe coffee tins. These are the large bulk buy ones with the plastic clip on lids and are about 6 inches diameter by 8 inches high. You can get smaller ones around 4 inches high.

Just inside the top is a lip where you remove the air tight seal. This is not required and is easily removed with a normal can opener.

The handle was made from a coat hanger and was simply bent into shape with a bulge in the middle to centralise it on the pot hanger - similar to those if you follow wizard's link.
The ends of the handle were simply a hook (imagine the letter J) and were around 10mm across, these were pushed through two small holes placed in either side of the tin. I was a little concerned about the lids not fitting too when the handle was on but 10mm is sufficient to make the handle clear. Even if it wasn't sufficient there is no reason why the handle couldn't have a depression around the area where the lid sits so that it clears the overlap.

I only use the plastic lid when I transport the can but have another lid from an army surplus aluminium dish which fits perfectly, it is even possible to drop the dish into the can and use it to steam food :)

Not sure if this helps but it sounds like you were already thinking along the same lines with the handle clearance problem.

I'm sure I can't be the first person to do this, the tins are perfect for the job and bushcraft fokes are very resourceful.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Thanks Anthonyyy
Hopefully you should now see what I was talking about.

Billy_cans_small.jpg

As you can also see the cans are excellent for carrying and storage with those clip on lids.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Those look fantastic bootstrap bob, I'll look out for the tins.

wizard, those billy cans are just what I was looking for. The tatonka ones are great too, tedw, but a bit pricey!

Fantastic idea with the screws janie popps. I was thinking that by using the wire bent out a bit the billy cans would no longer fit into each other. But bolts or screws could be pushed in/removed for transportation.

Great stuff. Any thoughts on stability? Three holes the way to go?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE