Makeshift lights

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Does your Mum keep a jar of bacon grease in the pantry ? :dunno: mine never did.
Beef dripping was sometimes used to cap off potted hough, but bacon fat? that was either used to fry stuff in or scraped out for the birds. Stinks the kitchen out :yuck:

Candles are pretty cheap to buy these days, £stores and the like, leave the bairns crayons alone :D

Interesting to see what folks do though. TomBear has some good stuff posted on using rushes and fat to make home made lights. From both his results, and those of others who do this kind of thing, the cleanest, least smelly and least sooty candles are made from cleaned up mutton fat. It actually smells like a kind of wax rather than fat burning.

cheers,
M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My mother did keep spare bacon fat - in fact one day my brother pinched some as he had run out of Brylcreme (this is back in the days of Drapes and DAs) ... he only did it once though :)
As to fish can lights- I was recently shown how to use sardines/mackerel/tuna as a light and stove in one by the Irish Bushcraft Club members who came for a visit.....
Place a tissue on top of your sardines and light it ... simples!
031.jpg
They did this a couple of times and said the fish was hot and tasty....but then I am not keen on fish anyway!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Interesting. From the linky it would appear that a cotton mop-head is an essential survival aid!

(Actually, also useful for replacing wicks in primus/optimus cookers as well...)

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Don't know. Cotton candle wick seems cheap enough not to bother with mops?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The info originally came from a US site hence the bacon fat where keeping it is more prevalent in cooking and flavouring greens especially in the south. It was also aimed at townies having a power outage. Hence the mop lights and kitchen stuff being used, kind of surrogate lateral thinking for the unimaginative. It's obviously cheaper lighting candles, but crayons will do if the shops are out/closed in a darkened New York.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I love sardines one of my basic foodstuff whilst camping, I have used the oil with wick added but I made a little nick in the metal to secure the wick stops in dropping into the oil, and if you manage to peel your lid back a little and get your sardines out you have a little wind shield plus you can carry it using the ring pull.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE