makeing fire

camokid

Forager
Mar 3, 2009
coventry
hi all at the weekend i went out into the woods to collect some dead dry wood to try and make a fire by useing the bow but all i got was plenty of smoke and a pice of wood with loads of drilled holes i was at it for 3 hours then the camo cord broke so is there a right pice of wood to use ????????i think the way i was doing it was fine just not really the right gear help anyone thanks

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Camokid,
theres loads of information on here about bowdrill woods and techniques. If you got smoke then you can be sure that you are pretty close to getting your ember. Have a search around and if you still can't find what you want, come back here and say.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not trying to teach you to suck eggs Camokid but did you cut v-shaped hole to collect the ember in ?

camokid

Forager
Mar 3, 2009
coventry
yes mate i did after slipping with the knife and nearly lopping of a finger i got 9 more so its ok smoke was there and bits of ember but not glowing

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds like you might have just needed to keep going once the smoke started.

Can you remember what wood you used ?

I don`t think you were far off getting the ember from the sound of things, maybe the hearth was a little damper than you thought. If you`ve kept the bits you used, try drying them out in the house for a few days and having another bash.

camokid

Forager
Mar 3, 2009
coventry
i no for the drill it self was hazel dry as a bone and nice and stright but the other pice not sure sorry but it was dry. i wont giv up its on after work

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
Once you've got smoke and are feeling knackered, that's when you really need to give it some umph: another 10 long strokes in each direction. Producing fire with the bow drill is *really* rewarding, but completely over-rated as a survival tool IMO.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:You_Rock_
good effort mate!

You really need to find out all the woods you are using for 2 reasons:

1. you know what works best.
2. so you can find it again.

Everyone has different techniques this is mine:

the wood i use:

an ash bow (you could use willow, slightly bendy allows you to adjust pressure)
Hazel drill (or you could try poplar, you may find different sizes, a longer or thinner one easier)
Lime baseboard (though Iv'e used Poplar and hazel alot)

the bearing block
I use a stone with a dip in it, basically use something that is hard and won't burn, though i have used oak and holly but you need to stop the friction)

Nylon cord (mine is from a sailing kit shop it IS much thicker than "para cord" much thicker = more grip = less likelyhood of it slipping = not melting/snapping)

Most Important of all get the technique down to a tee, (basically the only part moving should be your elbow(with the bow) everything else should be rock solid!(although you can adjust downward pressure.
then Practice, Practice Practice!

other hints, when you cut the notch make it clean(not roughly cut),
if the drill squeeks press down a little harder (it's rattling),
check the bottom of the drill, is it shiny? if so grind a little off the bottom with your knife and carry on.
when you get a coal (you will;) ) don't blow on it waft it gently with a hand, or you may blow away your hard work!
also wehn you get a coal, don't panic, calm down take a breather, I've made coals that last more than 10mins without touching them!

and finaly have a cuppa!
We know it's hard work, it took me a year of trying before i got my first fire from friction, now i often demonstrate it for local displays open days etc!

Hope that's helpfull!

Keep going mate!;)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As I've posted elswhere on this forum I'm a bit of cynic when it comes to this craft in British Woods in winter - I know I'll get shot down but I have never managed to go into the woods and gather wood to make fire from a bow drill. I have managed if I have used carefully dried drill and hearth that I've taken with me (plus dried tinder not collected in the wood). However dry the wood feels in winter in the UK if it's collected from a wood it will be very damp and will just smoke (in my experience).

I'll fetch my coat :)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As I've posted elswhere on this forum I'm a bit of cynic when it comes to this craft in British Woods in winter - I know I'll get shot down but I have never managed to go into the woods and gather wood to make fire from a bow drill. I have managed if I have used carefully dried drill and hearth that I've taken with me (plus dried tinder not collected in the wood). However dry the wood feels in winter in the UK if it's collected from a wood it will be very damp and will just smoke (in my experience).

I agree with you Brock, but it is a good feeling to know you've made fire from rubbing two sticks together.
I don't bother doing it anymore myself but thats just me!
Keep trying camokid, the effort will eventually reep the rewards and you'll be chuffed when you succeed!
As a side note, I often used a hazel spindle (Drill) and an ivy hearthboard which always seemed to work for me. But hazel and lime are also a good combo!

camokid

Forager
Mar 3, 2009
coventry
i can see its so more easy takeing a fire steel and i smoke so i allways have a lighter on me but its just a challange and its handy to no like all bushcraft skills you never no you might be in need

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Might be stating the obvious here but when the dust is collecting in the notch you wont see an "glowing" ember as such, more a darker coloured dust that will smoke very lightly on its own. Once you have this chill for a min and then carefully transfer it to your bundle and blow into flame.

Keep trying,

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England

Yup I also agree,
I used to teach bowdrill with Dave Watson of Woodlandsurvivalcrafts, we taught groups and some specific "friction fire" weekend camps,
Also did displays for county shows! (20 plus fires a day!)
We all had our own hand chosen kits, and often we found it difficult/uncomfortable to use each others bows.

It is very fair to say we never just picked up the wood from the local woodland, If you are providing a 100% success rate display every piece of kit is collected and sorted months beforehand. I have hazel drills (approx100) that are dried and stored.
also baseboards are carefully selected and dried.
even the rosebay-willowherb i use as tinder has to be collected late autumn(cause that's when it's around!) i have a few carrier bags full!

Same as anything else really if you "Demo" stuff in front of the public you make sure it works!

I "could" go into a wood and find all the parts and make a fire etc, it is just really hard!;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE