Make your own charcoal in a 45 gallon oil drum

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
In response to this thread, a rough and ready description on how to make using an oil drum :D

You will need:
45 gallon oil drum
Wood
Sacrifical Charcoal
Lighter
Time

End A (visible) has slits cut in it; End B has its circumference cut out, almost up to the rim. This will allow for the cut out bit (referred to henceforth as Lid) to be replaced and seal the End B once again.
DSC00084.jpg

Start with End B facing up. Fill with wood and add some sacrifical charcoal near the top to help start the burn going.
Set alight (bit of trangia meths will help).
Once properly burning/smoking replace and wedge in that Lid.

You need help for this bit - flip the whole thing upside down, End A upwards and place 3 equal bits of wood underneath to maintain airflow.
Let it smoke away - white is water vapour, yellow is tar, blue is almost there, clear/heat waves is what you're aiming for and for this size of burn can take 4-6 hours.

DSC00101.jpg

When the smoke clears, kick out the supporting wood and bank up the sides and top with earth to seal everything in - airtight, or as close to it is what you're aiming for.
Allow to cool.
Hey Presto - charcoal :D

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55636

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Aha, beaten to the punch! i think i have more pics of that burn around actually but essentially its all in this post.

the lid was the important bit, cut a rectangle out of the lid rather then cutting around the circumference. this allows you to replace the lid and seal with a twist.

also please remember to work on a CLEAN drum, using angle grinders or a plasma cutter etc on a drum that has held petrol or diesel is a BAD idea!!

the holes in end A were simply 3 vent holes of about 2" long by 1" wide cut with either a pick or axe/hammer.
Ta
Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE