Make you own gear? Surplus fabrics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Could he manufacture the original BCUK ventile (or epic cotton) jacket or a BCUK poly cotton version? always liked the look of those.

bcuk-ventile.jpg

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23673&highlight=BcUK+Ventile

Graham's design was quite similar to that, and I'm sure that if enough people were interested to make it worth his while, he'd be interested too. All it needs is a few people who would like a quality Ventile jacket, made in the UK, to put their names down somewhere.....

For those who don't want Ventile, he had some good, simple designs for fire retardant waterproof and breathable smocks too.

Last edited:

Graham O

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2006
North Wales
I figured I was far too late when I saw the start date on the thread :lmao:
As for fabric questions, what's the best/toughest type(s) to use for a bag? I'm thinking about scavenging old car seat-belts for straps and stuff, because they are sure to be strong

Depends on what the bags are to be used for and I'm thinking more of the external environment than what goes in them. Cordura type 1000D textured nylon is a good allrounder, but the seams leak. A 40z pu coated nylon at the other end of the weight scale is cheap and quite tough, but won't withstand the same amount of wear as the 1000D nylon. A PU nylon can be taped and made fully waterproof though, so it's a case of choosing which set of parameters you want.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
Depends on what the bags are to be used for and I'm thinking more of the external environment than what goes in them. Cordura type 1000D textured nylon is a good allrounder, but the seams leak. A 40z pu coated nylon at the other end of the weight scale is cheap and quite tough, but won't withstand the same amount of wear as the 1000D nylon. A PU nylon can be taped and made fully waterproof though, so it's a case of choosing which set of parameters you want.

Waterproofness isn't exactly an issue here, because when it rains it pours I'm not going out in the rain, thank you very much, if I want to get wet I'll go swimming (yes I'm a wuss.):rolleyes:
I was planning on making a pannier for my bike, but I'm one of those annoying gits who'll start hundreds of projects, but only finish one or two, so I'll probably wind up buying a very cheap bag and modding it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE