Make you own gear? Surplus fabrics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham O

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2006
North Wales
Ventile smocks - open to offers and don't worry about being cheeky :)

Very simple design; no pockets, elasticated hood, elasticated cuffs. Take two, cut one up and add pockets if you wish.

Graham O

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2006
North Wales
A couple of people have expressed an interest in the Ventile smocks and I'll link to a picture this evening. Just make a cash offer.

Later tonight I will put details of a double Ventile jacket. I won't put it here now as those who've not been able to get onto the forum during the day won't get a look in.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I saw this on OM a couple of days ago and thought, I bet of few of the BCUK guys would be interested, and here you are :)

Graham O

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2006
North Wales
Okay following from early on, who would like a double Ventile jacket? British Racing Green outer with rubber (light brown) lining, size medium. The only problem is that it is not made. I found a bag containing all the bits, so if you fancy a real DIY project, this could be for you. Medium will fit chest 38-40. Hood, 2, maybe 3 pockets, front stormflap, mid thigh length. I will write up what each piece is and how to put it together. It's an old pattern, no longer commercially viable, and having noticed the passaround pattern, if you want to copy the pattern, then I'll allow the group to copy, use and modify it.
If you are interested, please register your interest on here before 10 tonight and if there's more than one person, I'll "pick a name out the hat". I'll even give you a couple of zips to finish it with.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
That's a very generous offer and it sounds like it would fit me nicely. If you'd be up for posting it to Ireland (at my cost) I'd be interested. Never had any ventile gear before and I've been looking for a project along these lines.

Last edited:

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
how much would you be looking at postage wise?

I am getting into making my own gear so would love anything that can me made into clothing, would like to ideally be able to wear what i make and would prefer stuff like polycotton in blue black brown or green.

If you have any spare that would be ACE

Let me know

Thanks

Dave

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
At these times I hate not living in the uk ^^ how much would postage be for some poly cotton, or a some coated nylons, or the nifty three layered breathable fabrics, as I am currently one awesome educational journey learning how to design fabric products everything from tents, backpacks to clothing etc, so anything at all would be really helpfull, as you know student life isnt exactly well paying XD

And as I am primarily using it to make models, and prototypes colour isnt my main concern ^^, plus even if it is in hot pink I would be wearing it anyways ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

Last edited:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I went to see Graham on Friday, and I picked up a few of the kids Ventile smocks while I was there, as well as lots of other stuff that he just gave me. I'll post pics of the smocks when I get the chance, but they're very good, perfect for kids kicking about in the woods.

He also had a very good, modern design of a Ventile jacket that wouldn't be out of place in the Arctic, or down the pub. I tried to talk him into a group buy, so let's hope that he agrees at some point in the future......

If you can make it to his factory it's worth a visit, just to see what he's got and to have a chat.

Cheers, Michael.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Could he manufacture the original BCUK ventile (or epic cotton) jacket or a BCUK poly cotton version? always liked the look of those.

bcuk-ventile.jpg

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23673&highlight=BcUK+Ventile

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Thanks for the fabrics, Graham :) They arrived on Friday just as I was headed out the door. I got back home on Sunday but then immediately had to crack on with work so I haven't opened the package yet, but I'm looking forward to it :)

Graham O

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2006
North Wales
Thanks for the positive comments Michael. Glad you liked what you saw.

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules on here, but if so, I beg the groups pardon.

Ref BCUK smock, I'm open to discussions if someone wants to start them off.

I've also got an option on a waterproof breathable flameproof fabric in sage green. Flameproof means they won't get burned by sparks etc. I'm thinking of some simple smocks with just a single chest pocket. Another group buy perhaps?

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
dammit dammit dammit, I should be studying :D
That said, that's really really wonderful of you to put this up on here. Would any of the fabric be suitable for bags? Total beginner and numpty here so I know little to nothing about fabric

Graham O

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2006
North Wales
Unfortunately SCM, all the fabric has gone now, but I think it has all been to good homes.

If you or anyone else has any questions about fabrics etc, I'll happily answer them as best I can.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
I figured I was far too late when I saw the start date on the thread :lmao:
As for fabric questions, what's the best/toughest type(s) to use for a bag? I'm thinking about scavenging old car seat-belts for straps and stuff, because they are sure to be strong

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE