Make turpentine?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joey_Numbers

Aug 25, 2010
California
In relation to my previous topic where I made some pine pitch.

Has anyone here ever successfully made turpentine from this distillation process? I can only assume its as easy as trapping the steam from the boiling of pine resin, condensing the steam, then boiling down a little further to increase potency. For some reason boiling turpentine sounds toxic and dangerous. I wouldn't want to blow up the backyard.......again. >_>

Why do I want to try this? I'm still working on that part of the explanation. Yes, I suppose there are other ways of making a solvent (grain alcohol) but I'd like to hear about this method for pure curiosity.

Thanks for any tips or advice.

- Joe

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
I assuming you're talking about making Pine tar
From Wikipedia:pine tar is a sticky material produced by the high temperature carbonization of pine wood in anoxic conditions (dry distillation or destructive distillation). The wood is rapidly decomposed by applying heat and pressure in a closed container; the primary resulting products are charcoal and pine tar.

And you're wanting to get Turpentine

From Wikipedia:Turpentine (also called spirit of turpentine, oil of turpentine, and wood turpentine) is a fluid obtained by the distillation of resin obtained from trees, mainly pine trees. It is composed of terpenes, mainly the monoterpenes alpha-pinene and beta-pinene.

Let me have a word with a few people

Joey_Numbers

Aug 25, 2010
California
I assuming you're talking about making Pine tar

And you're wanting to get Turpentine

Much appreciated, but half right I don't want to make pine TAR. I mean the pitch making process, I think its semantics. Tar is pitch and pitch is tar to some people.

From my understanding to make pitch you boil the sap in water until the sticky aromatics have evaporated away (wet distillation, think moonshine.) To make tar you use a sealed container filled with pine wood and a hole punched in the bottom then put in a fire and the tar runs out the hole (dry distillation, think charcoal) Quick descriptions of both.

I use the first technique to make pitch and I think you can make turpentine from it too. Boil pine sap in water, collect the steam in a separate container, and let it condense. Would the condensed liquid be turpentine? Would be interested to know if anyone has done this on a "Do-it-yourself" level.

Maybe its too advanced for primitive living skills? Haha. :D

Thanks for any responses, all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE