Make shift bread oven from pots ?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hey all :)

I recently saw an episode of Mc Mears and he was making a bread from powdered milk and flour using a tatonka style pot upside down but with a smaller tin inside to hold the dough mixture. Now as others will agree my outdoor cooking skills extend to burning meat and charring spuds but i would love to make fresh bread everyday whilst out bushying with a fire.
I happened to hear him say flour and powdered milk but thats about it, no instructions or ammounts / other ingredients.

My question is can someone provide some instruction and ammounts etc, i have tried bannock but fancy something a little more bread like (fluffy if you will lol)

Im off for an all exclusive bit of camping this week with the missus, dog and a big tent, gas burner and double blow up bed :eek: so i would love to try making bread. im sure ill miss my hammock and tarp :rolleyes:

Thanks all :)

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Sounds like bannock, there is loads of info on it and there is even a recipe in the articles section here. I've not tried it as yet but I'm planning on getting the ingredients tonight when I go shopping.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Try a bread mix, it's available from any decent supermarket. Usually just requires water. Or make your own, combine different kinds of flour, nuts, seeds, brown sugar, salt and dry yeast in a plastic bag. When you want to bake, add water, let it rise under a towel and then bake. Or if you're lazy, use baking soda, but then you end up with more bannock-style bread.

What you do is that you put the lid upside down (near the heat source), place the pot on a couple of pebbles in the lid, the pebble works as spacers, letting some air move through the hot pot. Then you place, as you said, a smaller pot inside, with the dough inside. It's really easy to make chocolate cake this way too! (edit: of course you'll have to place the smaller pot with the dough/batter first and then cover with the larger pot on the spacers)

It works brilliant on a trangia as well. Just put the frying pan on the stove, put a few spacers in it, set the small pot with the dough/ cake batter and cover with the big pot.

As it is tricky to get an exact temp reading you better keep a keen eye on the bread or cake so you don't burn it. Make a stick to poke the bread every now and then.

Good luck!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE