maiden voyage!

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Right got a few questions for you and just wanted to tell you all about my little trip I've got planned.

For a start I'd like to point out that I'm not all that new to the outdoor way of life so I'm after more serious opinions and advise. I've been camping nearly every year since before I could walk (literally) and spend a good 80% of my free time outdoors BUT I've never used a tarp / hammock setup which is what I intend to use this time.

Firstly, I'm now the proud owner of a dd travel hammock which I'm very grateful for sandbag. I've had a bit of a play with it and can't see any problems with setting it up, from what's been said about the ropes stretching I assume it would be better to use trees that aren't much further apart than the length of the hammock - less rope to stretch?

The woods I'm going to are pretty dense which I'm hoping will keep things a little warmer than if I were in the open and I intend to have the fire quite close to me with the tarp over me but going down as an angled wall behind me to keep the wind off and reflect some warmth from the fire, I'll have a sleeping bag and a wooly hat along with the hammock but no underblanket (maybe a normal sleeping mat) you think I'll be warm enough?

The tarp's a slight worry, I've got an ex-army shelter (tarp, alu pegs and lots of paracord) but I think it's about 5' X 8' which may well be too small, I've also got a flysheet made out of two of these but may be a bit too big really, would I get away with the smaller one?

What do you guys do after dark when you're alone, I'd imagine not doing a lot could get quite spooky in a dark wood all on your own :rolleyes:

Lastly, if any of you are going in the next week or so and are close by, could I join you (to learn the ropes as it were)?

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
A bit personal! what I do after dark on my own is my business.
Seriously though, a book is a good idea. Look at the stars and try to pick out the constellations,listen to see what you can hear,a bit of whittling/carving by the fireside.Let your imagination run wild ,theres only you there so you won't make a fool of yourself.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
First, the distance apart of the trees is dependent on the size of the tarp as well as the hammock. You want the ends of the hammock safely inside the tarp to stop rain directly getting inside and creating a swimming pool. You could also do with some form of drip lines so rain water doesn't travel along your ropes into the hammock.

Under blankets are lovely and warm, even at 0degrees, but I don't think you would get the same from a foam mat. A better bet would be some form of full length inflatable mattress or 2-3 foam mats on top of each other. Its basically a learning curve.

As for the tarp position: watch the wind isn't too strong if you are going to put it at 90 degrees to the wind, or else you will in effect have a giant sail that could fail. I always put mine in parallel with the wind, with my feet being behind the tree the wind hits first. I then pile my cloths up near my feet (could also be in sleeping bag) to act as a wind break.

Stu.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
lol, the point is I've got a new toy and want to get out in it but haven't got an under blanket. I can use one of my roll - mats, like you said - won't be as warm but will it do?

The tarp in the wind, I'd already thaught of that which is why I said at an angle and the woods are that dense they're not very windy if you see what I mean?

Even during the day when I'm in there alone it sometimes gets a bit spooky (my mate's uncle topped himself in there), hence the question - my imagination doesn't always help lol.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
The new webbing straps for the hammock don't seem to stretch as much as the old ones did. You can check what ones you have here they are lighter than the older ones.

As for the tarp size, I've got a desert issue one, I'm assuming it's similar, you can see it in the background here or here if you want to check, It's 3mx2m and although snug, you should be OK. The tarp is longer than the hammock so that will determine the space you need between the trees

Stu's bob on, an underblanket is nice and warm and the best option for the cold, my first trip out I used a self inflating sleep mat underneath me, a sleeping bag and a goretex bivvy bag and I was pretty warm, wasn't too cold though, about 5-10 degrees. I differ from stu in that I pitch at 90 degrees to the wind and use extra pegs on the windward side, otherwise you run the risk of water ingress. You mention you're in heavy cover so you should be ok whichever you choose, any rain should be almost vertical drips rather than driving in.

After dark I like staring at the fire, making things, tent pegs, whittling, making things to eat, bannock, coffee, just generally chilling, reading is good too. I would also maybe suggest earplugs as hedgehogs tend to sound like grizzlys :eek: when you're out there on your tod (with axes and knifes!) If somewhere where there is a chance of humans turning up then maybe don't use the earplugs.

Cheers, have a good trip out, and don't forget to write it up

Cheers,

Alan

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I personally think you will be fine with the roll mat. An inflatable one would be better but pick a not too cool evening and have a go.
You will get spooked guarantee it but you will also come to your senses and realise that the noises will be deer or badgers or rats or.......there are lots of critters that seem to make noises.....its there job!
Suffice to say that morning will come round and you will have enjoyed the experience all bit it a fitful nights sleep.
Finally I would say if there is the possibility of human contact maybe do without the fire till morning,I know this is a bummer but I feel happier knowing that anyone out there will have as poor night vision as me and that I'm not lit up like a beacon.
dave

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Thanks guys, all kind of what I wanted to hear and yeah - I'll write it up.

The fire is a bit of a dilemma, like you say it'll lessen the risk of unwanted company if I don't have one but it would be a very welcome addition to the evening, I know the bumps and rustles in the night are just critters but it doesn't stop it being a bit spooky and I'd feel better with a fire. Apart from that, I'm looking foreward to it.

The main thing though was I wanted an opinion about whether I'll be warm enough or not.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
What kind of sleeping bag are you in ?
I use an ex mob winter sleeping bag, weighs about 20 tonnes but i only ever need that and an blow up 3/4 mat which doesnt stay inflated for long :eek: I also use an ex mob bivi bag so if a little water gets in from my tarp ill still be dry (my tarp is also a basha about the size of yours). I also like to have my tarp touching the floor at one side with the other more open to the fire. I tend hang my hammock quite close to the floor. If you are a worried about a warms nights sleep then maybe take a blanket to use either over or under you.
If you have a travel hammock i think you maybe right about the distance between the trees, you may also want to throw your kit in it for the day then swing around a bit - then re-adjust before sleeping.

You will have a belting time and will probably find it passes far too quickly ;)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
To beat off the boredom and things that go bump in the night you could take an ipod and a book to read, if there`s somewhere you can go and sit and watch some wildlife then that`s good too.

As for the mat then a foam one should be okay but like others have said maybe double up and use two if you`re planning a winter trip. I`ve been using a 3/4 thermarest for the last 5 years and that`s been good into the - temps, I only just got an underblanket this week though.

About 5 paces is okay for the tree spacing but obviously it depends on the length of your tarp. What ever combi of tarp and hammock you use the tarp must be the longer to keep you dry. You could sew some triangles onto the short sides of your tarp to give you a bit more protection.

EDIT:

If you`ve got an old sleeping bag kicking about then you could have a go at making an underblanket yourself

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Change your state of mind.
You are not the pray, you are the predator. There is nothing in the woods at night more dangerous then yourself.
In that state of mind everything that goes "bump" is a chance to become more bushwise. What made that sound? Weather, trees, an animal? If so, which animal and what is it doing. Sitting in the dark and trying to dechipher the nature around you can be a greate passtime.
As suggested, keep a starchart in the bottom of your pack. If the sky is clear it is fun to learn new constellations.

For me one of the points of getting out alone is to break the habit of "I'm bored, whats on telly?" Bringing an ipod would just prove the severety of the condition. :rolleyes:

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
For me just staring at the fire and keeping it going is enough entertainment for me. I sometimes take a mini radio incase i fancy listening to a bit of music. I also like to have a wander around camp and practise a bit of night navigation and finding constellations is another thing i do to pass the time. If its raining i just like to listen to the rain on the tarp and generally just chill, maybe with a book.

I have only slept in a hammock once (a dodgy parachute jobby that i bought from army surplus), usually just use bivvy bag and kip on the floor, but am thinking of buying a decent hammock and giving it another try. How do you make "drip lines" to stop the rain travelling along the hammock straps and in to the hammock?

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
just tightly tie a couple of bits of string on should keep the worst of it away, you'll still get some wicking along the lines though. Only way to really isolate is to use Carabiners on your hammock lines

Cheers,

Alan

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Interesting point about the fire and one I have considered especially when near roads or dwellings I tend to not light a fire until dark because of the smoke telling a much wider audience you are there
I usually have the fire in a pit in a dip and do try to make some kind of debris screen towards the area where someone is likely to see it
It can be used to conceal area where firepit was in the morning
Obviously I dont have a bonfire anyway so a small fire is easier to conceal
You could use a hobo stove The constant refilling of it would while away your time
One of my favoured luxuries is a tiny radio with no speaker i.e headphones only
I agree with Husky I rest assured that after a certain hour I am the most scary thing in the wood
Most of all though its great fun

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Dont get me wrong I love a fire...but if I am on my tod it just screws up your night vision and if there is the worry over drunks, idiots or just plain nutters I would prefer to see/hear them first.Not being paranoid but even with company I dont like the fact glowsticks carry on glowing after I am in my sack.
Sleep well whhooaa haa haa Dave

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who gets spooked at night when alone in the woods. To be honest 95% of the time I'm with someone, so it doesn't happen. But when alone...
A fire is just about a must. Unless, as others have said, you are in an area where it could be seen. But keep it small (if only for the reason that a big fire will burn all your fuel and you'll be forever collecting wood).
I usually find the worst hours are the two or three before sunset. That's when you could get dog walkers and those just out for a stroll. Once the sun goes down and it's dark then the chance of anyone coming along are pretty low. It's when it gets dark (pitch black) I start to relax. Especially this time of year.
I also tend to take a radio with me, and listen to Radio 4 (music stations just seem out of place). Or just sit there watching the fire.
Also, as Husky says, you are probably the danger in the woods. It's a psychological thing - fear of dark places (think of how many horrorfilms use the woods). YOU are probably the thing there that most people will be scared of encountering. Overcoming that fear of the dark is the one thing most people strive to conquer in their lives, but seldom do. So, as Husky says, if you adopt a frame of mind where you are the danger, the lurker in the dark, it makes it a lot easier.
You won't hear as many noises as you think. Humans are noisy and smelly and most animals will keep far away. Although you can guarantee you will wake up several times in the night, swearing blind that sound of breaking twigs and leaves is some maniac sneaking up on you...

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
lol, thought you lot were going to make me feel better about it!

To be honest, I've never been bothered about it in a tent but then that's not in a pitch black wood all on my own lol and you can't see much anyway so you somehow feel safe (like hiding under the covers as a kid). I do worry about noises, even during the day but it's not animals I'm worried about - funnily enough it's a group of drunken chavs "camping" and deciding either to join me or cause me problems that bothers me, I'm not all that bothered about ghosts etc - I've yet to encounter one!

I don't know what the sleeping bag I've got is, I know it's not got a hood though so the blanket idea sounds good - I can tuck it round my neck to stop the draughts as well as over / arround me.

ok so all sorted really, should be sometime this week! Any other advise?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who gets spooked at night when alone in the woods. To be honest 95% of the time I'm with someone, so it doesn't happen. But when alone...
A fire is just about a must. Unless, as others have said, you are in an area where it could be seen. But keep it small (if only for the reason that a big fire will burn all your fuel and you'll be forever collecting wood).
I usually find the worst hours are the two or three before sunset. That's when you could get dog walkers and those just out for a stroll. Once the sun goes down and it's dark then the chance of anyone coming along are pretty low. It's when it gets dark (pitch black) I start to relax. Especially this time of year.
I also tend to take a radio with me, and listen to Radio 4 (music stations just seem out of place). Or just sit there watching the fire.
Also, as Husky says, you are probably the danger in the woods. It's a psychological thing - fear of dark places (think of how many horrorfilms use the woods). YOU are probably the thing there that most people will be scared of encountering. Overcoming that fear of the dark is the one thing most people strive to conquer in their lives, but seldom do. So, as Husky says, if you adopt a frame of mind where you are the danger, the lurker in the dark, it makes it a lot easier.
You won't hear as many noises as you think. Humans are noisy and smelly and most animals will keep far away. Although you can guarantee you will wake up several times in the night, swearing blind that sound of breaking twigs and leaves is some maniac sneaking up on you...

Well put ;) you are the mad man in the woods with an axe knife !
Radio 4 is wonderfull especially if there is a play on, it too agree about music it doesnt fit somehow..

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
funnily enough it's a group of drunken chavs "camping" and deciding either to join me or cause me problems that bothers me

Oh, well that's easily dealt with - go deep into the woods far from paths.
The kind of people you are describing are extremely unlikely to venture too far into dark woods. They tend to keep to the edges or points of easy access. So keep away from those areas.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Sorry guys, no news or pics as yet, it's either been miserable weather or miserable missus so I've not been out lol.

I'll write it up when I do get out though.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Hope you get out soon.
Agree with the comment about going a bit deeper into the wood to avoid eejits. People are inherently lazy and if they are camping wont walk far with their gear.
I prefer not to be in a tent as I feel it more stressful as you cant see what the noise is if you put on a torch ,lots of stuff makes noises in the wood even the leaves falling at the mo with a gust of wind sounds louder than it is.
Generally though if its a larger animal/ human it will break twigs when walking.
I look forward to some pic's.
Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE