Made something from a photo have a guess

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Sorry guy's for taking so long its just been work, work, work .

The hardest part was getting the Jackpot spanner now that party sevens are a thing of the past .
As keeping with the style a old rat can and a P38 . I will have get some esbit to go with this simple stove.

photo0120l.jpg

photo0125mg.jpg

Cheers
Topknot

Attachments

• photo0125mg.jpg
    photo0125mg.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Andy - was that an original compo fruit salad? I thought the days of tins were long past.....or was it from a modern 10 man pack or the like?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yep, church key here as well: I think it was a play on the old thing about one man's church is another man's pub....................

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Andy - was that an original compo fruit salad? I thought the days of tins were long past.....or was it from a modern 10 man pack or the like?

Yes Red, it is a original compo fruit salad. I also had to last year two original Nam c rats the ones with the 4 fag's in them but my father bin them.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You are a loony....what kind of madman has old tinned compo rations about?

(If you ever want a tin of matches and sweets.......) :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

I always thought it was a church key 'cause it looked like a church window!

Though Wikipedia differs in their oppinion.

"There is sparse, and often contradictory, documentation as to the origin of the term "church key". The phrase is likely a sarcastic euphemism, as the opener was obviously not designed to access churches. One explanation is in Medieval Europe, most brewers were monks. Lagering cellars in the monasteries were locked to protect aging beers, and the monks carried keys to these lagering cellars. It may have been those keys, which remotely resembled the early church key openers, that gave the "church key" opener its name.[SUP][16][/SUP] Another motive for assigning the device such an ironic name could have been the fact beer was first canned (for test marketing) in 1933[SUP][17][/SUP]—the same year Franklin Delano Roosevelt signed the Cullen-Harrison Bill.[SUP][18][/SUP] This act, which predated Repeal of Prohibition, amended the Volstead Act, making 3.2% low-alcohol beer legal. Some experts have posited the term "churchkey" was a way to "stick it to" the religious organizations who had effected Prohibition in the first place" source Wikipedia.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Ten_45.jpeg

Back in the day, every case had a 'church key' in it. They were generally the sort here the bottle opener end was a rounded version of the can-opener end.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Never noticed the likeness to the church window before, but it does, doesn't it? The things you learn on this forum, eh?.......................atb mac

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Never noticed the likeness to the church window before, but it does, doesn't it? The things you learn on this forum, eh?.......................atb mac

That was just the conclusion that came to me, haven't seen it put forward anywhere else in the quick bit of research I did on posting. It's just one of those assumptions I'd made years back and never checked before.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE