Made me a "saw bench"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello made a "saw bench" designed by Christopher Schwarz. Well I have not made the sawing notch yet but it might come. Made it in my appartment using a backsaw, planes stanley nr 7 & 4, drill and chisels. Think it will come in handy for lots off stuff! Now I really need to make another...

1zg3mdl.jpg

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Worth cutting a narrowing notch into one end from about 50mm (at the end) down to about 30mm.
That way you can put a door into the notch when you plane it and it holds it.
Here's one I threw together expecting to make a posher one when time allowed, thing is I threw it together in 2005 so its lasting well considering.
DSC00933.jpg

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Worth cutting a narrowing notch into one end from about 50mm (at the end) down to about 30mm.
That way you can put a door into the notch when you plane it and it holds it.
Here's one I threw together expecting to make a posher one when time allowed, thing is I threw it together in 2005 so its lasting well considering.
DSC00933.jpg

Hah thats more like it - exactly the same as the ones my old man used to knock up.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Looks very well made :)
I do, however, have a problem with some of the stuff Schwarz promotes as the "way to do" this or that.
This design is a case in point.
A carpenter's saw horse (as this generally known as) has legs that splay both out sideways and forward of the timber platform. This requires the use of compound angles and accurate workmanship so was often a job for apprentices to undertake. The reason for the secondary splay is mostly to do with stability but also has a secondary role when a carpenter has to plane something on the "horse". It prevents racking/movement to enable ease of work.
Saw horses were one of the first projects we had to make as apprentices and we had good fortune to have a tutor at college to explain them.
Rob.

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
Very nice job. Chris Schwarz writes some good stuff but I can see what Fraxinus is saying.
Look up Tom Fidgen's sawyers bench, it is worth a look.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Thanks and yes compound angled legs are probably a good idea. Guess I will see how this works. Have an idea to make some sort of shaving horse attachment for it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE