Made it more"bushcrafty" this time!

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Well me and Subedarmajor went out for another bimble today and actually managed to get a bit of something achieved!

Subedarmajor challenged me to forrage for wild greens to compliment the items he would bring along.....so here is what we got up to!

Well to start with we ensured all of the "Bushcraft" esentials where in place.......... Floppy hat, green clothing, canvas bag etc and for once.......... it seemed to be all present and correct

So off we went into the woods and within 10mins we managed to gather a few pignuts for the pot,

We wondered through the wood some more then out into the open fields and along to a good spot for some ramsons. well just one or two!

SSL20111.jpg

we came across some other bits that are edible but we left alone

SSL20115.jpg

amd some that where not

SSL20112.jpg

Subedarmajor then expertly gathered some birch bark

SSL20114.jpg

and we happened across a nice big chunck of "Fat pine"

SSL20117.jpg

And a little later on a big collection of "Cramp ball" so that was our fire lighting bases covered!

We had a quick scan around the area for "Morels" of which there where thousands!....................................................... We just could not see any:eek:

Any way onwards we went into a different area of woodland and on the way collected some "wood sorrel" and "Jack by the hedge"

We then went to a nice spot out of the way (an area where there have been fires in the past) to see what we could rustle up, and this was it

SSL20118.jpg

A BIG tasy bannock (Pre made) by Subedarmajor
A bowl of Cherry tomatoes
One of the nicest Salami I have tasted
and a bag of jerky (just for nibbling)

Well Subedarmajor struck up the Ghilli kettle (After a few false starts) and the water was on for a brew!

SSL20120.jpg

SSL20122.jpg

He then chopped the tomato and salami and added it to the cookset on the kettle

SSL20124.jpg

once fryed off for a little while we added the mixed leaves and hey presto!

SSL20126.jpg

And all Subedarmajor could say was............................................ "First time I have eaten flowers"

Well it was a brilliant walk with Brillinat company!

I am sure Subedarmajor will be along shortly to add a few bits!

ENJOY

.............................Oh yes one more thing.................The COFFEE he made..........OH MAN THE COFFEE!!!!!!!

D

Dspec

Great post mate, nothing better than getting out and about and enjoying whats on offer in the bush.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Is that a stinkhorn egg? Apparently they are edible... never fancied trying though! Would be interested to know if anyone has?

Looks like my kinda day out :D thanks for posting.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Is that a stinkhorn egg? Apparently they are edible... never fancied trying though! Would be interested to know if anyone has?

Looks like my kinda day out :D thanks for posting.

It is a stink horn egg........ and the white bit is supposedto be edible....... but now one ever seems to be sure so. it is well off my list!

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Looks like a nice way to relax Pignut and looks quite appetizing too!!

Are they the flowers from the Ramsons??

I see your involved in Scouts, I have recently got involved as well so might pick your brains sometime if I may.

Regards

Andy

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Looks like a nice way to relax Pignut and looks quite appetizing too!!

Are they the flowers from the Ramsons??

I see your involved in Scouts, I have recently got involved as well so might pick your brains sometime if I may.

Regards

Andy

yes they are the flowers and the buds!

And yes feel free to pick my brains any time!

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
It was indeed a cracking way to spend the morning, with much hilarity involving Pignut (carrying a forage bag for collecting greens and tinder) trying to get me (carrying my Swedish rucksack with the kettle, food, water, and the kitchen sink) to fall over, get hung up, trip and fall into one of the many muddy streams as we took a gentle meander through the woods.

I did not oblige! :D

Personally I found the company excellent, the food good and the coffee was goood. The only thing that could have improved it was a generous slug of brandy. :)
I learned quite a bit (I'm terrible at plant recognition) and got some more experience at fire craft (I'm still a bit of a newby).

Yes Ogri you have seen that knife before, I believe you may have one of his brothers.

Pignut, again thanks for your fellowship and participation I had a great time.
You must let me know what happened at the scout meet that evening. ;)

Also, you want to know the provenance of the coffee. It's Waitrose (no affiliation) own columbian strength 3, we get it as beans as they seem to be cheaper.

Cheers, Alan.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Personally I found the company excellent, the food good and the coffee was goood. The only thing that could have improved it was a generous slug of brandy. :)
I learned quite a bit (I'm terrible at plant recognition) and got some more experience at fire craft (I'm still a bit of a newby).
Cheers, Alan.

It is good to have a fellow "Crafter" I can call a friend!:beerchug:

And to chat about novel coffee drinks recepticles!

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Subedarmajor: How did you get my knife? I haven't seen it for a couple of days, and was wondering where it was!

Just send the sausage/tomatoes and no charges will be filed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE