Made a Priest! WIP - Picture heavy!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Good morning, forumites!

I knocked up a hunting priest with some scrap snooker cue that was left over from material sourcing and figured you guys would like to see how it was done. The idea of the 'priest' is to humanely dispatch small game after catching, snaring or shooting it by bonking it on the head with a special tool. When we were lads our old man just threw us a spanner to do it, but it's always nice to use what you have to make your own!

So, I started with a length of snooker cue end, the widest end. This is it after I cut the length near to how I wanted it..

and after a scrape with a knife to remove that paint, didn't take long as the paint was very brittle!

Now the reason I chose to make this piece into a priest is because it's already lead weighted (or whatever metal is in the end) and seemed a waste to just ignore this. You can see that the end has been drilled, weighted and filled in with a plug..

With a few minutes on the bench grinder I had given the handle some grooved texture, really easy with a simple grinder but still easilly doable with a file.

after a quick burn with a candle and a rub down with some raw linseed oil to preserve the wood and lock in some of that carbon residue!

With some scrap brass sheet I had an idea to fit the bottom with a metal pommel! on with the epoxy..

Once it was dry I actually drilled it so I could fit in 3 pins to secure the pommel as it came off during the first attempt to grind it on the grinder! some more epoxy and a few hours to dry and on with the final shaping and sanding and it was done!

and the final product, a nicely weighted priest, recycled from scrap! :)

got me off the sofa too, which was nice ;)

Thanks for looking, I hope you like it!

Last edited:

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
+1 as above.

Really clever using the weight in the butt of the cue. I've always wanted a lathe to do things like that, but really clever to use what's already made :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thanks for the kind words guys!

I'm not one to waste bits so I'm glad I got to make something from it :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice job Samon, reminds me of an old Hong Kong Police truncheon I used to have. You must have some serious sized fish down your way.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
cues R us! They're great for all sorts of stuff, cheap in the charry and there's loads of 'em about............................atb mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE