Macro/Close ups of Insects **Pic Heavy**

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Many thanks Mr Ed, I'll reconsider my set up - as this is an area of photography that I particularly love.

cheers

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Many thanks Mr Ed, I'll reconsider my set up - as this is an area of photography that I particularly love.

cheers

no worries, the first picture is made from a 6 pint milk bottle. the main things are to get the flash away from being in line with the lens, even a tiny bit makes a difference. then aim to get the flash close to the subject to minimise the amount of power needed to prevent blowing out highlights, then diffuse the flash so it isnt that harsh cold light - a cotton shirt, a stofen omnibounce, gary fong products, chopped up milk bottles or similar all work

when you do it like that you get nice coloured lighting, with nice shadows etc and its quite even cos of the diffusion.

loads of info on google etc

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
no worries, the first picture is made from a 6 pint milk bottle. the main things are to get the flash away from being in line with the lens, even a tiny bit makes a difference. then aim to get the flash close to the subject to minimise the amount of power needed to prevent blowing out highlights, then diffuse the flash so it isnt that harsh cold light - a cotton shirt, a stofen omnibounce, gary fong products, chopped up milk bottles or similar all work

when you do it like that you get nice coloured lighting, with nice shadows etc and its quite even cos of the diffusion.

loads of info on google etc

Thanks again Mr Ed. I've got a Canon 350D and a 430EX speedlite. When mounted, is the flash far enough away from the lens? If not, how can I get the flashgun to fire remotely without spending vast amounts of money. BTW I have the stofen omnibounce already so that should help.

Thanks mate.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Thanks again Mr Ed. I've got a Canon 350D and a 430EX speedlite. When mounted, is the flash far enough away from the lens? If not, how can I get the flashgun to fire remotely without spending vast amounts of money. BTW I have the stofen omnibounce already so that should help.

Thanks mate.

the aim is to get the flash as close as possible to the subject so that you dont have to use lots of light power, and therefore get more pleasing illumination

if your camera supports wireless flash triggering then fine use that if it doens then get an 'off camera flash cord' as you own a canon you can get generic ones or canon own brand which are better and nicer built ( i used to have one)

that way you can use the camera and flash with all features anything upto about 3 ft away, its quite useful for creative lighting anyway.

before you spend out though what lens are you using? i got quite good results using the flash on the hotshoe and the milk bottle diffuser with a 100mm lens and a 150mm lens and got good results. its all about experimentation.

another good diffuser material is the corrugated opaque plastic modelling board you can get at hobby craft etc.

i reckon though for around 25 quid you could get an off camera flash cord and some kind of flash bracket. the cord will have a tripod socket on the bottom of the flash end which makes for easy mounting. for the flash bracket either go to a 'proper' camera shop and see if they have 2nd hand bits for sale and look for a flash bracket like this

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/9097/show.html

(thats over priced IMO and they can be got cheaper)
then you can attach it to the bottom of your camera and the flash on the other end, i used 2 that i joined together to give me a pivot origianlly but it was a bit unbalanced. i then just used to one and was able to position the flash next to the lens but pointing in.

i will have a look around see if i have a spare bracket you can have, or any other bits from when i was experimenting, i may have binned it all though so cant promise.

PM me if you want to know more

Last edited:

GeoffWood

Maker
Sep 30, 2008
Derbyshire
My first attempt at posting a photo.
not a very artistic portrait, but a nice subject.
It was photographed in Ghana at Akosombo

IMG_0046ss.jpg

Aug 22, 2009
Medway Kent
i havnt been on here in a while but this thread looked interesting as iv just added photography to my list of hobies. (i have only had the camera for about 2 weeks and havnt had mutch photography expeerience yet)

these where taken with my nikon d3000 with just the origional kit lens (18-55mmVR) in the back garden last weekend.

DSC_0758.jpg

DSC_0755.jpg

DSC_0754.jpg

i hope to get a maco lens soon, but i just kind of blew all my money on the camera so maybe not as soon as i would like.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
here a pic from here

1354602351_3b0a1948dd.jpg

and a link to the pic on picasa in case you want to watch it with more detail
http://picasaweb.google.com/esteban.soler/Bichos#5364703767483093570

the spider was identified by some guy at a spiders website as a hunter spider
no need for macro at this pic since the spider was about 12 cm in diameter (5 inches)

cheers
Esteban

Those spiders give me the willies. It's the same species they used in the film Arachnophobia. They jump very fast. They're like House spiders on steroids.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE