Mackerel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
just back from a week away camping around wastwater. Managed a couple of sessions at whitehaven pier (fantastic beginners spot) and a kayak session at St. Bees, only baby mackerel showing at whitehaven, managed a few smallish pollack close in though. St. Bees was full of mackerel, we had a great time but tide was drifting us fast (a bit scary in the yak) so we only had a handful of drifts. If I were on the rocks I'd say the furthest point on the head that is still in view on the beach front.

Reactions: santaman2000

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Well, it's been hot, the dog wakes early these days so a quick check of the tides shows high tide about 7:40 around here. Off to the beach before 7 and a half dozen mackerel over a couple of hours on a spinning rod. Not too bad, not huge numbers about but worth the trip.
What lure were you using? I use a spin rod a lot on the river for perch and pike and as a rank amateur I'm reasonably successful..... but LRF off the shore I'm blanking every time!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
What lure were you using?
A Dennet super sprat, which is a slim metal long casting lure. I've found the sand eel colour best at this time of year round here as the mackerel are feasting on sand eels (some had fresh eels in their stomachs).

Round here the beaches are fairly shallow and rocky, so I use a 28g lure to get out a bit further. This time I used a 10' spinning rod but prefer a lighter lure and rod in ideal conditions as it's more interesting.

I could get a long beach casting for and long line of feathers and feel in dozens but that's not for me.

Reactions: santaman2000

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Has anyone been mackerel fishing around the UK at all this year yet and caught much? It's been very warm and sunny during the day I'd have thought there would be loads about in the SW, but the nights have been fairly chilly.
White west pier n Bridlington pier is ok

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE