Machete

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Stuart said:
The golock and the jungle knife are made by the same people (martindale) the steel is identical

That's exactly what I mean Stuart - the Golok steel (certainly on mine) is not terribly good! Even though the design of the Jungle Knife looks better - if it's the same steel you might not want to go near it!

George

Andrew Middleton said:
This may have been covered before I discovered this site, but can anyone point me in the direction of a cheap (or at least value for money) good machete/golok?

Many thanks in advance.

A Working Kukri is about as good as it gets
They cut effecently well above their weight and also are quite usfull on smaller stuff plus the Small side knife is idea for detail work
you do need to be careful as there are a lot of crap imitations about.
and a lot of more decortive versions.

Dunno about cheap But they are Value for money

I have picked up a few in second hand shops for £10
But did get a new one a couple of years ago for £60 from an importer

They have a similer Vidio to Stuart (Kellam Knives) showing the knives being forged :lol:

ATB
Duncan

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I think that George may have have sharprnrd the wrong angle on his, I have used this Golok many many time since I have had it, made many shelters with my scouts and cut , i dont know how much fire wood with it and never done so much as chip it.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Chopper said:
I think that George may have have sharprnrd the wrong angle on his, I have used this Golok many many time since I have had it, made many shelters with my scouts and cut , i dont know how much fire wood with it and never done so much as chip it.

Yes, Cliff "Break-em" Stamp's review of the jungle knife seems to agree with your view - seemed to do OK once he'd convexed the edge

But then again, £50 could buy you a very nice tool from Valiant...

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Chopper said:

Yup - you could be right, or I could have just got a duff one, but I did a lot of work on the edge and I would have expected it to perform a lot better than it does.

Reprofiling the edge still doesnt improve the balance or the way it handles though :wink:

I reckon that for a bit more cash you could come away with a decent kukri or one of the Valient goloks - to my mind a much better option.

Anyway, each to his own, Chopper - if it works for you...

George

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have VERY mixed feelings about the Martindale Jungle Knife. I read a review in Tactical Knives some time ago that made it sound really good. I then saw that it was made here. :biggthump So I called the company. I was initially told that it would cost £12 :-D Then told that they were sorry, but company policy was that they could not sell them in this country!! :banghead:

Something to do with being worried some nutter would use one to run amok. They only sell one or two models to the public, I was told, and the Jungle knife isn't one. So you could only get it if you were in the army. If you are in the USA they only cost $45. So buying from SASS really does not seem to be a good deal. :-x

For the money you spend on a Jungle knife here, you could get a Becker patrol machete in the US. Knowing that I just can't bring myself to pay the UK price, even if it is good.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
it might just be worth pointing out that this
images.php

is not a martindale golok. i don't know who they're made by, or why they're sold in bayonet sheathes. but it might explain why people who have these think they're too hard and martindale users find them soft.

generally machetes are much sfter than knives in order to deal with the amount of shock they're likely to be subjected to.

cheers, and.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
I just received a catalogue showing this knife and sheath. The text says the knife was made in "Indian for the British Government and is marked with the Boiad Arrow."

Actually, mine has the arrow with fletching, as it were. Reject? Sent out of service?

The blade is hard by any standard. A new file will not cut it.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
that is interesting, i wonder if it's the same indian outfit whomake the cheap khukris. these "goloks" are substantially shorter than the martindale No2.

cheers, and.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Don't know. That is why I posted markings on my example. I thought it was pretty hard for a chopping tool and the convex edge was unusual for a true military issue item. I hoped someone out there would have the inside information.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
The reason that it is in a bayonet sheath is quite simple, I put it in it so that it would match the one that I put MOD knife in and that is in a bayonet sheath because the original leather one was knackered.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i've seen them for sale in bayonet sheathes, and seen other folks who have bought them in bayonet sheathes.

if you go to vshrake's article on jimbo's site http://oldjimbo.com/survival/v-shrake/goloks.html
he shows a close up of the martinale golok markings, complete with crocodile and No2. i won't reproduce it here 'cause it's a pretty wide pic.

cheers, and.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
As noted above, these do not have the Martindale markings -- just markings that "appear" military. Otherwise, it looks in general like the No. 2's baby brother.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Chopper said:
At long last (thanks to larry the spark) I have managed to get some pics on this forum :-D
The machete is a MOD Golock that you can get from USMC for £14.99 inc sheath and the saw is the ever famous Laplander from local DIY store for £17.99.
I slight alteration on the sheath, saves on pocket space.

images.php

images.php
I can't see the pics Chopper. :cry: Could you host them again? :angel:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE