Machete or Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Do like that golok of yours duncan.....have you done many?, might have to chat you up about one at some point :D

Still got your Parang Hanging waiting for a grind

I made 2 of that blade the Golok was a design for another maker with His handle but couldnt resist a couple with mine on to test No intention of doing more so only 2 the otehr is unground in the Pile

fielder1963

Aug 29, 2013
Shropshire
You need an axe, an Esse Junglas, a saw and a good bushcraft knife. And maybe a machete for light stuff. Have fun carrying it all though!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Still got your Parang Hanging waiting for a grind

I made 2 of that blade the Golok was a design for another maker with His handle but couldnt resist a couple with mine on to test No intention of doing more so only 2 the otehr is unground in the Pile

Whenever you're ready on my parang mate, no panic at all :D

Got another golok blank laying around eh?......hmmm, could be a useful little tool that, esp next to my rather large parang :D

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Eh, what, really?.......thats great stufff mate :cool:

Obviously just give a shout when you want some cash or anything else you might need :D

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
prefer to work with a hand axe 

By hand axe....do you mean a flint type stone age hand axe? If not then what other parts of your body are you using to wield axes? ;) or is a hand axe a certain type of normal axe? :) I appreciate that might sound a little like a Micky taking question but there are so many different types of axe I just wondered if it was one I hadn't heard of?

In answer to the Op's question, I'd say machete in the jungle (where it comes from), axe in the northern forests (where it comes from) and bill hook in gorse, brush and scrubland. Don't pass by the idea of the Sami knife too quick either, they are very very good bits of kit in the forest and are useful all year round if you know how to use them...why do you think the Sami invented and still use them :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
By hand axe....do you mean a flint type stone age hand axe? If not then what other parts of your body are you using to wield axes? ;) or is a hand axe a certain type of normal axe? :) I appreciate that might sound a little like a Micky taking question but there are so many different types of axe I just wondered if it was one I hadn't heard of?

good point I meant more medium/small carving axe rather than say a large log chopping American style axe

d20da93e7bf18eda008fa8d4c50cc4f4.jpg

what is the difference between a hatchet and an axe anyway?

denny 😊

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For us in the boreal forest, it's weight and size and handle length.
From the great illustration above, I have the rough equivalent of the #420, #434-1 and the #465.
We just had Logger's Sports in our Pioneer Days weekend. Some good ol' boys sure can throw an axe.
Sadly, no burling pond.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Personally I'm machete all the way. The only axe I bring is for splitting logs rather than chopping, so I just use a heavier machete for the thicker stuff. Currently use a Gerber Bolo (still say it's misnamed because it's a panga and nothing like a bolo) to witch I took an angle grinder and file to the spine to cut saw teeth on the back. It works. But the quality of Gerber is shocking recently, steels fine but handles are crap! Couple of wipes over with a kitchen knife sharpener (i know, I know) and it's razor sharp again. In truth I used a piece of flat bar sharpener on a bench grinder with a duct tape handle for years and it chopped wood just fine

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
mick91: I'm curious. What do you plan as the bevel angles for your tools for various purposes?
Pacific Northwest (native design) wood tools have a series of bevels which are of optimum function.
I'd like to know what you find as most functional.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Robson valley: My machete is ground to 30° with a 20° lead cutting edge. Generally speaking my general purpose Skinner is kept at around 17° or as near as I can keep to that by eye following my known angle. For any really fine cutting tasks I actually use a cheap straight razor. I'm unsure as to angles as obviously it's hollow ground and I hone off the spine of the blade. Generally with sharpening tools I just go until it looks and feels right now.
My home brew machete was actually chisel ground to about 25°. Using that for a while I did actually feel the difference between single grinds and different bevel angles. They both chop wood quite well but a little more effort in design it works better

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE