Machete advice

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
Hello,

I have made my self a few knives and I want to make a machete now I have an old machine hacksaw blade I am going to use and I will aneal it then cut it out as I have done with the knives. What I need help with is how to temper it. Should I do it the same as a knife ie heat it until its no magnetic then dunk it in oil or will this make it too brittle for a large blade as most machetes seem softer than knifes.

Thanks
Tom

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I'm a big machete user but that question is beyond my pay grade. I don't make them. A good machete has a good spring temper. I've had them bend out to 25 - 30 degrees batonning through knots and spring back to true. The first time I had it happen my initial thought was "well, that's it for this blade." Didn't even phase it.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Unless it's something I haven't seen before, I fear a machine hacksaw blade might be High Speed Steel and may be too brittle for rough use and probably a bit on the narrow side for a machete. You might be better off with something made with spring steel. A lot of tools of that sort of size (parangs, khukris, machetes) are made from old truck springs. I have a few and they're tough as old boots.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Unless it's something I haven't seen before, I fear a machine hacksaw blade might be High Speed Steel and may be too brittle for rough use and probably a bit on the narrow side for a machete. You might be better off with something made with spring steel. A lot of tools of that sort of size (parangs, khukris, machetes) are made from old truck springs. I have a few and they're tough as old boots.

+1

A HSS would be risky IMO. It is fantastic for knives as it takes a wicked edge but I don't know how well it would hold up to rough use.

An old leaf spring would be better.

Andy

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
Your right it probably will be hss its plenty big enough for a machete, I might make it anyway not to use just a practice then try and get hold of an old leaf spring

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I knew an old blacksmith in a village here that would make knives and machetes from old truck springs. He was universally criticized for making the machetes too hard and brittle. I have one of his, totally hammer forged and takes a wicked edge but I can tell it's too hard. I don't use it since he died, it's more of a keepsake.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE