Lyke Wake Walk - April 2008

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Tourist and myself are planning on doing the Lyke Wake Walk in April next year. This is basically a yomp across the York Moors.

Details here: http://www.lykewake.org/route.php

We're lookiing to do it in a day, camp up the night before, leave heavy kit in a car and then carry daysacks across.

It's 40 miles and quite feasible (people have been doing it for years). If you manage it in a 24 hour period, you get to be a member of a club "The Lyke Wake Walk" club. Membership is free.

Anyone else interested in joining us?

Hi Nat
I've done the LW (many moons ago now) and its certainly doable in under 24 hours Yomp over the moors is a really good description, sadly not entirely sure I'm up to joining you (old age and mispent youth are catching me fast). I hope you and Tourist enjoy it, and I'd certainly reccomend doing the walk for anyone who's tempted but not sure, it's a long wander though so a bit of prep goes a long way. If memory serves me as part of your club membership you get a very swish badge in the shape of a black coffin with candle embroidered on it.
Have fun Tim

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Cheers Tim,

I'm getting old too, but its got to be done, I missed out on it some years back.

There are a couple of ways of doing it:

1. Late morning / early afternoon start, walk till late o'clock and then bivvy up to kick off the next morning...........so a half and half witha nights kip in between.

2. Bivvy up and an early o'clock kick off, then yomp through to finish it in one day. It has been done in 13 hours as a yomp stopping for a couple of brews on the way.

So, is there anyone else out there who fancies a nice [long] stroll through the Yorkshire Moors next April?

It really is worth doing, we started at midnight and went straight through the last few miles were a major slog, but serious sense of achievement, I still bask in the glow of it, 17 hours and 30something mins not a bad time either although we did have a couple of guys who ran it :confused: back to back :eek: and bumping into them en route back to the start was a bit surreal.
:) Tim

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Cheers Tim.

Only 38 myself but still feel alot older with one or two on going injuries (wife says it's bone idleness cheeky mare).

Nice to hear from someone who's done it :D but back to back is just madness :eek:

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'd have loved to join you guys but the knees just won't make it these days.
Why not make it a charity event - raise some sponsorship for a good cause.
Also, if you can persuade someone to drive the vehicle, they could meet you at pre-determined points and have a hot meal ready for you, cutting down on what you have to carry and lessening the time you have to spend preparing it.
Decent well thought out logistics can make a whole lot of difference in an event like this.

Good luck with it,

Eric

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Hi folks who are interested. I've recieved some feedback from a Dirger Green who has completed the walk twice and is doing it again. He offers some advice on which way to do it and where to camp.

Hi

There is a campsite in Osmotherley (the start) called Cote Ghyll camping and youth hostel. Be careful camping on Osmotherley Moor as this is prohibited and there are rangers patrolling the area. At the end you can hire by prior arrangement, the Ravenscar village hall.

Farndale camping barn which sleeps up to 12 people, the Lion Inn at Blakey (only available to LWW walkers due to problems caused by irresponsible people) this is about half way point. Lord Stones Cafe and country park at the first checkpoint is available for camping, but again ring to prior arrange.

Useful phone numbers:
Cote Ghyll- 0870 770 5982
Lord Stones Cafe - 01642 778227
Lion Inn-www.lioninn.co.uk - 01751 417320
Ravenscar village hall- 01723 870801
Farndale barn- 01751 433033

Failing these, we have seen people camping on the top of Urra Moor and Live Moor- but not sure if this is prohibited or not, however don't think people will climb the hills to check on you!!!

If you would like to check what is allowed, contact the national parks at Sutton Bank on 01845 597426 to make sure.

Hope the training is going well. On my last crossing one poor person attempted the 42 miles with only 4 miles of prior training under their belt. Needless to say, they didn't make it.

You are wise to walk West to East as it is generally agreed that the prevailing wind will be at your back all the way and you will be walking against the heather, which might sound odd but the heather really does flow west to east because of the weather conditions. I am only going Ravenscar to Osmotherley in April to move up from Dirger to Master of Misery which requires three full 24 hour crossings one in reverse.

Dirger Green
biggrin.gif

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I could be up for a bit of that but I`m struggling to pronounce it, never mind yomp the 42 miles. I keep saying Lake Wyke Walk :dunno: Used to cover a fair few miles in a day but haven`t really much for a couple of years so I might need to get out again soon.

I should have a better idea after chrimbo so I`ll let you know, sounds like it`ll be a good laugh.

Rich

Variant 13

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Berkshire
Hi guys,
Count me in, I did it in my teens (20+ years ago) in terrible weather and enjoyed it tremendously, it's a great walk in a beautiful part of the world though my strongest memory is of mud and more mud.

Great idea, cheers,
Graham

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I bet it would be good in the snow to but we can never garuantee getting any these days up here, the south east has become the north now nicking all our snow.

It`s grim down south :lmao:

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Welcome aboard. I kept calling it Lake Wyke Walk too until SWMBO slapped me round the head.

We've got a couple from another forum coming along aswell.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Ok it's been decided, the walk is now going to be a sponsered walk for H4H.

Date now set for walk, April the 12th and 13th.
More details closer to the date.

Could everyone who has expressed an interest in doing said walk, please PM me your real names so i can compile a list.

Thank You

Nat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE