Luna the Orca

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Did anyone see the BBC documentary just, about Luna the killer whale that spent his time integrating with humans. Devestatingly sad at the end :( Seems like it was always heading for that finale though.

kilocharlie51

Feb 18, 2010
swansea
Excellent programme. Certainly one worth watching. Leaves you thinking if there is a greater power in nature, as one who's at ease with her......I like to think so.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
It was a very moving story that stirred a lot of emotions in me. As you say really sad at the end but I can't help thinking he was going to end up in some aquarium or shot if things has carried on the way they were going.

To me he was obviously doing what he wanted to do and seemed happy with the human contact the way he kept looking for it, was amazing to watch from something like an Orca.

Makes you realise just how much we don't know about how the wonders of nature we call animals think and how much intelligence there is behind those eyes.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I watched it when me and the dog got in, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Will watch it again tomorrow, it was that good.

gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
:wow1: !!! I couldn't believe that the fisheries people were telling people that Luna was "a 'non-watchable' whale"!

I think I'd probably not be able to take someone saying that to me seriously, and would probably roll around the bottom of the boat in guffawing fits!

musicman

Jul 24, 2008
Scotland, Glasgow
I watched this as well, very interesting and thought-provoking programme; and I agree, the "non-watchable whale" statement sounded rediculous lol.
Also, I couldn't believe one of the men giving his view near the end of the programme, who chuckled merrily whilst saying he was the happiest guy in the area after hearing of the whale's death: obviously totally void of human emotion and compassion...

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
I thought it was an excellent program for the reasons already given. However, I think it could have been a little shorter.

Somewhat ironically, the day after I saw the Luna documentary This was in the news.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I thought it was an excellent program for the reasons already given. However, I think it could have been a little shorter.

Somewhat ironically, the day after I saw the Luna documentary This was in the news.

There is a slight irony...

A captive whale forced to interact with humans kills human
A wild whale chooses to interact with humans and is killed by humans

Katanic

Jan 11, 2010
Doncaster
Luna was an excellent programme an i thought that the 1st nations were brilliant when they 'saved' him from the fisheries agency tryin to box him.

Now im a manly kinda man but im unashamed to admit there was a tear in my eye at the end there.

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
That was a great programme as well as a pretty hopeless situation.

I liked the way all of the groups (fisheries agency, natives and the public) were trying to do what they thought was best for the whale, albeit in their different ways.

Unfortunately it seemed as though it was always going to end the way it did. But what a great creature :D

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
There is a slight irony...

A captive whale forced to interact with humans kills human
A wild whale chooses to interact with humans and is killed by humans

Humans always have a way of destroying what is most precious and sacred... It seems that as a race we can not see what is truely important or significant in our life until it is gone and appreciate very little that is naturally there for us to enjoy (not take/ build/ make etc etc)
There was alot that was put on this planet for us to enjoy and protect its a shame the human race seems intent on destroying everything it touches.

I always think of the matrix with things like this with the quote from the 'machines' "The human race is a disease, a virus that has infected the plant"

I will probably not watch this programme as i am sure it will make me cry...
I seem to have an ability to be fine with blood and gore, humans in pain or cut or worse i am fine to deal with, manage, admit aid and even save but never have an issue with it.
Animals - either in pain, being hurt, neglected, mistreated etc etc I can't handle and turn into either blubbing mess or a very very enraged and angry mess lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE