Ludicrous decision by Ebay - Knifeless Item rejected!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
Thanks for the encouragement. No reply as yet.
Unless things change, come payday I'll buy a membership and (hopefully) sell here.

Mark

May 25, 2010
south coast
I fully understand (but fundamentally disagree with) your media hysteria led and cowardly stance on not listing knives on ebay uk
nice choice of words:35::35:
absoloutly rediculous of ebay to refuse this. i recently bought a very sharp,possibly lethal in the wrong hands,divers knife off the bay,it was listed as a safety tool!:)

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Some years ago my 8 year old had a PINK plastic water gun shaped like a half size M 16 which he was told was not allowed on QANTAS - the developed world's worst airline.

It was a replica fire arm they said. Replica firearms may be used in hi jacks. Yes by 8 year olds. In bright PINK Plastic!

No initiative amongst the staff. I despair for the West.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
when they pulled replica guns a while back people started posting up empy boxes with the - this box will contain original parts on shipping in the small print - made me chuckle

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Yes, yes, yes.
British knife laws win again.
Time to start going against the grain Gents or they will ban the 1" non locking plastic bladed folder next.

Don't confuse british knife law with ebay rules, the two don't relate to each other

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
But they are indeed.
Its draconian British laws that have shut down knife sales on ebay, is it not?
Not really. More the media led hysteria.

Ebay are allowed to sell knives but have made a decision not to. IIRC one of their reasons was that they could not guarentee the buyer was legally old enough to buy the knife. So in this well reasoned day and age of blame culture and fear they decided to avoid the risk by stopping all knife sales.

Another victory for reason and common sense!

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Be interesting to see if you get a reply.

Had a problem with them just after Christmas, made a mistake and posted rubbish for feedback. I did a few at once, but my cut and paste did not work so my last cut and paste was used instead. They argued that they will only change feedback under certain conditions, I could not get them to actual read the feedback, and they never seemed to be reading my emails. Lots of standard sounding replies.

You could point out that they still sell those items in ebay shops, even with blades.

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
Having been sent an online questionnaire about Ebay's dispute service I gave them both barrels. I've just had this reply:

Thank you for writing back to us regarding the removal of item numbers 290443018470 and 290442628954 and XXX eBay account. My name is Esther and I am happy to help you with your query.

Mark, While we make every effort to ensure that we only take action in cases where we have all relevant evidence, unfortunately it appears that in this case, the action on your account was taken in error.

We'll refund the listing fees for the listing we ended, and you're free to relist your item from the "Unsold Items" section of My eBay. Please be assured that keeping eBay a safe place to buy and sell is our top priority. We apologise sincerely for any inconvenience this has caused.

I have removed the violation on your account as a result of this removal and I have also put a caution on your account so that no future removals will actioned on your account for the Leatherman Knifeless Fuse Multitool.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Esther Dorgan
eBay Trust & Safety

Quite a fair response I'd say! Let's see if this listing lasts more than a day!

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
Unfortunately the stupid b*stards have just pulled it again. I'm livid!

Update - Well it's listed again - more assurances it won't be pulled. Like to place bets?

Last edited:

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
It lasted until 4pm. Here's a sample of the appeal [don't know how to tun off the auto smilies]:

mark_james_wood
Initial Question/Comment: UK CW LP- PI
16:13:43 System
Hank A. has joined this session!
16:13:43 System
Connected with Hank A.
16:13:48 Hank A.
Welcome to eBay Live Help, my name is Hank. Please give me a moment while I check your account details.
16:14:39 mark_james_wood
Can you guess how happy I am with ebay customer support?
16:14:58 Hank A.
Thank you for waiting. I have reviewed your account details. How may I help you?
16:16:56 mark_james_wood
Let me see. How about telling me why after I've had this conversation 9 times, and had numerous assurances that there would be notes on my listing, and had a promise from Esther Dorgan at customer support, you imbeceles have once again cancelled the listing for my KNIFELESS, thats KNIFELESS for the 100th time Multitool?
16:18:03 Hank A.
I can understand your frustration regarding this. Please give me a couple of minutes to look into this.
16:22:14 Hank A.
I have reviewed your listing and found that it was removed incorrectly. I understand your disappointment regarding this matter.
16:22:28 Hank A.
We apologise sincerely for any inconvenience this has caused to you.
16:22:38 mark_james_wood
That's what I keep hearing. That and a promise it won't happen again.
16:24:45 Hank A.
I will quickly get your item reinstated so that you can relist it from the "Unsold" section of your My eBay.
16:26:16 mark_james_wood
It feels like a vendetta at times. Do you think anyone will actually bother to bid when it keeps getting pulled? I've just checked and it's been removed six times so far. What will you do differently to stop it being removed again?
16:27:29 Hank A.
Mark, let me tell you that this time I will escalate your issue to the higher authority to make sure that this mistake won't be repeated and you may get a call from them to discuss this matter.
16:28:11 mark_james_wood
Ok. We'll see yet again how long it lasts. I'm guessing about 6 hours.
16:29:11 mark_james_wood
Sorry to get angry with you but the process isn't inspiring me with any confidence.

Happy days!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE