LT Wright JESSMUK - any info?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Not sure if you will find what you're looking for there, but knife bargains is having a closedown sale...

http://knifebargains.co.uk/index.html

I've always had excellent service from them , but unfortunately, due to the owners wife dying recently , he's closing the business down.

Some great bargains there right now, I'm trying my hardest to not spend all my wages on some of those items ....
It's closing down in 2 weeks time.

Worth a look in my opinion

��

No affiliation just a happy customer

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at various ideas at present.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
How far away from a 'standard' shape do you want to go?

My favorite is still my mark hill eagle. Has some subtle but effective differences to a woodlore style blade

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Ok, I'll look into that too. The Jessmuk is 3mm (1/8") so thinner than many.

except with that being a scandi it has a lot more shoulder and not what was originally intended

The [knife] shown in the cut is thin in the blade, and handy for skinning, cutting meat, or eating with.

scandi knives are for wood

but aside from that if you really want one ask one of the makers on here or you could get yourself an ontario old hickory skinning knife for about a tenner and mod it to the shape you want

www.britishblades.com/forums/content.php?92-Old-Hickory-Skinner

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
How far away from a 'standard' shape do you want to go?

My favorite is still my mark hill eagle. Has some subtle but effective differences to a woodlore style blade

IT is indeed a lovely knife, but I'm looking more towards a Nessmuk style of blade.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
except with that being a scandi it has a lot more shoulder and not what was originally intended

The [knife] shown in the cut is thin in the blade, and handy for skinning, cutting meat, or eating with.

scandi knives are for wood

but aside from that if you really want one ask one of the makers on here or you could get yourself an ontario old hickory skinning knife for about a tenner and mod it to the shape you want

www.britishblades.com/forums/content.php?92-Old-Hickory-Skinner

Ok, thanks for that suggestion. I don't have the kit at present but hope to be able to persuade a friend with access to a local school workshop to let me have a go with some of the big kit.

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
Thanks for that. Yes I have made contact with DWB.

Would a full flat grind be a good one for general woodwork and dressing tasks or would a scandi be more suited?

The "flandi" grind seems to be either loved or hated - any experience?

I think Corso's post above fits with my observation. The bushcrafters, who mostly use a knife for wood, favour the Scandi.
Hunters usually go full flat, and I would add that I believe the Nessmuk (G Sears) knife was originally a butchers knife.

It's either a seperate knife for each task, or a compromise to fit your own usage.
Get both, & sell one later....

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Exchange rate, US to UK delivery, UK makers - all very valid points, well worth considering.

Just to add though, LT is a great guy to deal with. Very friendly, honest and helpful. If you do go down this route, with the Jessmuk or any of LT's knives, you will get an excellent quality item and superb service.

I only say this as I speak from experience :eek:

K

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Exchange rate, US to UK delivery, UK makers - all very valid points, well worth considering.

Just to add though, LT is a great guy to deal with. Very friendly, honest and helpful. If you do go down this route, with the Jessmuk or any of LT's knives, you will get an excellent quality item and superb service.

I only say this as I speak from experience :eek:

K

Thanks for that comment. I've also looked at and exchanged emails with William Collins. Both knifemakers have been very helpful. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck with rates and Customs - they could make the $ cost = £ cost, plus postage - so, unless someone can find a way round, costs have just about killed it dead at present. I have friends over there who are planning a holiday here, so in a year or so I might manage to acquire a Jessmuk. Meanwhile, I'm looking at home and thinking about at least making my own handle and sheath. After that, I'd like to make the blade too, but I'm going slowly at present as time is an issue.

Last edited:

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE