Lowe Alpine Salient or Karrimor Sabre 75? HELP!

Aug 1, 2011
anywhere
Hi all. First post here, have been getting a hell of a lot of helpful advice on kit from reading other threads so thanks for that.

Basically I need any personal opinions or experience to help me make a final decision on 2 sturdy rucksacks I have had my eye on, one of which I hope will last me a long time and take some abuse.

I think I have most of the pros and cons of each rucksack outlined, however they all seem to cancel eachother out and I am left no closer to a decision!! which is why I thought some more personal advice on here may help me.

I am prepared to "invest", so not too worried about the price (£100 + for both, sabre closer to £150)

I am in the middle of nowhere, so cannot try out either one, so it will be a case of sending one back if it does not suit me, which is where the adjustable back of the salient is a plus, however the extra 5 litres of the sabre, and more positive reviews then sways me back that way...

can anyone help me!? what would you go for?

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
hiya, the adjustable back of the salient has meant its been on my xmas list all year, the sabre is a fixed back length. there is a post on here where the guy did a video review of the salient. have a hunt round for it it was quite good. i love Lowe Alpine mind.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Welcome aboard mate.

I've never used any of those so can't really help.

Have used the sabre 45 and good though it is I sold it as I have a Berghaus Vulcan as my big pack.

My smaller packs are Berghaus too.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of both will be along soon.

Aug 1, 2011
anywhere
Cheers for the quick reply!

yes, I don't doubt that both are well made sacks, i've been 95% on the sabre for a while, and am now reconsidering.

I think i've seen the video you are talking about, very good indeed and gave me plenty to think about. One thing i did find strange though was that to attach the side pockets to the salient, you seem to only use compression straps. whereas with the sabre they attach by zip. in the future i may have to extend the capacity so this again is something to consider.

i suppose the extra 5 litre of the sabre is a bit silly, seeing as i could just attach a small pack to the molle straps on the salients.

and as i am quite tall, the adjustable back of the salient may well be the deal winner if i am being sensible rather that just hope the sabre fits me.

anyway, ill keep on thinking! any more thoughts let me know!

Aug 1, 2011
anywhere
Welcome aboard mate.

I've never used any of those so can't really help.

Have used the sabre 45 and good though it is I sold it as I have a Berghaus Vulcan as my big pack.

My smaller packs are Berghaus too.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of both will be along soon.

cheers for the welcome. yep, the vulcan was in my thoughts for a while as well but decided that was probably stretching the capacity a bit far. again only a matter of 5 -10 litres but thought itd be a bit too big

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
In trying to keep the load down apart from winter,hence the Vulcan.

I got myself a Berghaus Munro and Centurio.

The centurio has the side pockets zip or strap on, the Munro only the ability to strap on side pockets.

Certainly can accommodate for two in summer with the centurio and munro never mind one.

Talking a weekend anyway there,with no beer mind.

The vulcans are bombproof and available in back sizes 1-4 so should accommodate your size.

I like the molle availability of the centurio too.

Last edited:

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Hi, I have the Salient. I am 6' 6" and using the adjustable back system it fits perfectly. I dont even have it on the longest setting.

Its a well made bag, I paid £100 from ebay and it has good features. It will also take a pair of PLCE pockets on the side compression straps it you need the extra load or you can buy a set from Lowe alpine.

This is my second Lowe alpine rucksack, the first I bought in 1995 and its still got plenty of life in it but its blue so I keep it for other things.

All of that said my best made has the sabre pack and that's also excellent. Basically it boils down to this for me:

If you want adjustable back length and side pockets on straps for £100 then buy the salient.

If you want a fixed back and side pockets that zip on for £150 then buy the sabre.

Barry

Aug 1, 2011
anywhere
Cheers Barry that was really helpful.

The main thing I am interested in is how much abuse each bag could take, and from what you said i take that the sabre is slightly more bomb-proof than the salient...but that the salient has better features (whilst still being well made)

I did phone up a cotswolds who said yes they stock the sabre, then when i got there to give it a test drive "oh no, we don't sell them anymore".

anyway, appreciate your help.

Aug 1, 2011
anywhere
Why did you choose the sabre 75 & not the 60-100 which has both an adjustable back & a variable size option ?

that's a good question.

Obviously I am somewhat of a novice, but from what I understand the 60-100 obviously allows you to reduce and increase capacity, but seeing as I will very rarely, if ever require 80+ litres, and with zips closed 60 would probably be too small, i figured that I wouldn't actually benefit from any of the features that are positive with this pack (other than the back system of course)

hope that makes sense, please feel free to correct me if you have the time, im still learning.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i wouldn't worry too much about the 'bombproof-ness' of the salient, i have a survival aids catalogue from 1988 and its in there virtually unchanged to now, i should imagine the quality and time in production speaks for themselves.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
in addition to that, to my untrained eye the 60-100 just looks to bloody huge!

It is, you'll only fill it and end up carrying stuff just for the sake of it.

I don't get the adjustable back thing either, once it's set you don't need to adjust it ever again, Why not just get one with a fixed back and make sure it fits first.

Oh and there's a mint Sabre 75 with matching liner up in the classifieds ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE