Lowe alpine salient help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I've just bought myself a lowe alpine salient brand new in dpm camo for an amazing low price. (Thanks to Andy BB for his heads up)
i'm trying to source the side pouches for it but am having no luck.

http://www.thexmod.com/item_detail.asp?id=11718&image=2

i have phoned the company that i got the pack from and they don't have any and will not be getting any ever. I also phoned the Lowe alpine uk distributer and they said they are discontinued and haven't handled any for a couple of years!

Any on here know where i can get my hands on a set?

Last edited:

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Universal_seitentasche.jpg
http://www.materialmagazin.ch/product_info.php?currency=EUR&cPath=18&products_id=1144
They are called "Universal Side Pockets" and were a common LA item one time but are not made anymore in DPM or anything else.
LA have left the military market for now.
The Swiss link is the only place I see them for sale but only in black.
They attached to the rucksack by the compression straps and were about 5l volume each.
Other manufacturers made them back in the '80s as well, most side compression straps are similar distances apart.
When heavily loaded they had a tendency to flop around a little but were handy for things like waterproofs.
The LA Salient cannot take PLCE side pockets (no zips) but you can attach PALS webbing pouches to it's front.
The few old universal pockets I have I use on my small rucksacks.
Happy trails...torc.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
The Salient doesn't have zips to fit pouches you have to use the compression straps.
Some PLCE pouches will fit but you have to make sure the small loops on the back of the pouches are spaced correctly
to fit the straps.

As it happens I have a pair of genuine DPM Lowe Alpine Salient pouches that I don't use. If your interested PM me and we can sort something out.
7E476418-6A73-4FEC-A5D2-F93816C17DDF-3743-0000023D8A721ADE_zps5d49f452.jpg

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
the other option is not to use the side-pockets at all, instead using the compression straps to attach your sleeping mat/camp-bed/Jervens bag/sleeping bag/bivi etc to the sides instead. THe molle straps on the front (back?) of the bag give plenty of options to strap other pouches on.

Apr 14, 2013
london
I spent literally a year tracking down a pair for my salient and eventually found the last pair in a small paris outdoor equip shop but haven't seen any for years. I also have the smaller 35l 'sabre' lowe alpine military pack which has the same spacing for it's compression straps, so I really wanted these to use with either pack. I have found though, like someone else mentioned, that it's often easier to just use the sides to strap things like sleeping mat onto the pack with the compression straps. The pouches tend to snag quite easily i find, partly because they're not zipped on, although I solved this partially by extending the length of the compression straps so they loop around the pouches and compress them as well. Also if you're a very slim guy like me its easy to forget how much wider the pack is than your body when it has side pouches on, I'm much more a fan of tall narrow packs. Good luck finding them mate, sorry I couldn't be more useful!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE