Lowe Alpine/Dutch Strike patrol pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Hi all,

After all the interest in the Dutch Lowe Alpine packs from Endicotts I wanted to do a quick review of the 40 litre Strike rucksack. Unfortunately I haven't had much chance to use it properly since receiving it. By a stroke of weather luck I've been unable to get to work today, giving me the perfect opportunity to take the pack for a little bimble to the local country park.

The fabric is Dutch DPM which doesn't have the spotty bits that British DPM has (go and look at DPM to check the spots, I had to). It's a high denier cordura which is really tough looking. The webbing used throughout is sturdy and also DPM.

The label reads:
RUGZAK, 40 ltr. WOODLAND
GRABBAG-UITVOERING
NSN8465-17-114-4596
ARWY
BO 872.2664 1648 11​

Although it says 40 litres it seems to be a bit more. Lowe Alpine have always been more generous in their sizing than many others. I put an Exped XXL Fold Drybag in it as a liner (supposed to be 40 litres in size) and it's a little smaller than the pack: it doesn't extend at all out of the pack's opening.

The pack is straight from lid to base, no narrowing anywhere. The lid has a single pocket accessed from a zip at the bag of the lid. The pocket is quite big and will fit an assortment of bushy goodies or easily fit hat and gloves or maybe even a set of waterproofs. There are two webbing pull tapes either side of the zip fastening to give help opening and closing. The zip has a cord puller. On the front of the lid is a thin velcro patch the size of a name tag. The front of the lid narrows toward the buckle and this is stiffened by a shaped piece of plastic. Either side of this, running to the lid's attachment to the pack strips of strong elastic are inside the fabric. There is a haul loop at the lid's back, running between the shoulder straps.

Access to the compartment is via a single big buckle. The opening is fastened by a single cord running through grommets spaced around the opening. A pretty standard cordlock toggle closes the cord. There is no extending snow valance, a feature that I'm used to in most modern packs.

The front features a single ice axe attachment of the traditional style.

The sides have two webbing straps/volume adjusters each that are very generous and allow a sleeping mat to be attached. The straps fasten on the front of the pack which gives extra length and therfore more to play with. Also on the sides are two zipped flaps for side pockets. Sensibly, the zips are the same size as those on PLCE bergans and pockets so PLCE toys can be used with the Strike. The webbing straps actually run through slits in the zipped flaps so that they don't interfere with the pockets.

The back system is fixed, padded by a rectangular piece of foam (not as good as the Karrimor Fformat, but it probably can be used a sit map in a pinch). The foam can be accessed from the inside of the pack via a velcro-fastening flap. Other things like survival bags or sit mats could probably be stored in this pocket. The foam is not very stiff and the pack "flops" a bit because of this. The back fabric (and the underside of the shoulder straps) is of a black and slightly lighter denier than the DPM fabric used on the rest of the pack. It still seems quite sturdy though.

The shoulder straps are quite thin but have a sturdy foam padding inside. A piece of webbing runs down the off-centre. A D-ring is fastened to the webbing to the front of the shoulder strap. From the D-ring to the ladderlock buckle at end of the padded part of the strap the webbing is loose so that karrabiners, etc can be attached. Running along this "free" piece of webbing is a chest strap which can slide up and down and is generous in length.

The waist belt is of thicker webbing than that used on the rest of the pack. Length is again generous allowing it to fasten over insulating layers and a set of webbing. The buckle is a Lock Monster 50mm, with standard male and female parts. The webbing is attached to the pack by fins of cordura the same weight as the main pack. None of the belt is padded.

The base is single layer with no additional straps or fuss.

In use I found the pack comfortable. The back system is not heavily padded and some care may be needed when packing, but I didn't find anything digging in my back. When I took the pack off the back looked a bit wrinkled, as if it was a still a bit floppy but was perfectly comfortable over my Bufallo and HH baselayer.

I packed a range of bushy goodies that anybody may expect to carry: waterproof, warm layer (issue softie in medium (bloody huge!)) in stuff sack, Trekmates bivvy bag (compact & small), large first aid kit, DD Tarp, Petzl headtorch and brew kit using an MSR Titan kettle (in stuff sack). The top pocket easily held a handful of short bungees, a lighter, CRKT Guppy, brew box and fire-lighting kit. In a PLCE side pocket I had a Honey Stove, Tatonka burner, Nalgene fuel bottle, insulated mug, Bahco Laplander and a bottle with Spacesaver cup attached. All of the kit in the side pocket would fit in the main compartment, but was kept separate to avoid contamination or because they'd get wet. I strapped a Karrimat to the other side to see how easily it fitted (dead easily done). I probably could have fitted more in if I'd packed more carefully. I did use an Exped XXL dry bag to keep everything dry.

Over New Year I easily fitted my new Wii in its box into the pack to take it to a party.

The fabric looked a bit faded (it is surplus stock, after all) and I first thought that it wouldn't be water repellent any more, but it didn't wet out with any of the snow that melted on it. Heavy rainfall may be a different matter.

All in all, a very impressive patrol-sized pack that seems perfect for bushcraft and fieldcraft.

When they've uploaded, I'll try to post some pics.

No connection to Endy's, etc.

Claudiasboris

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
(Hopefully this will work now).

P1050232.jpg

Front of Strike. I've fitted a PLCE side pocket and a roll mat to the sides just to demonstrate that they fit.

P1050233.jpg

Rear of pack, showing the "wrinkled" back system.

P1050238.jpg

Detail of the lid fastening buckle and the fastenings for the side straps.

P1050236.jpg

A bit more detail on the side straps showing how they fit through the zip flaps.

P1050237.jpg

This is the other side showing the zip attachment for the PLCE pocket.

P1050239.jpg

The lower part of the pack's front, with more side strap buckle action.

P1050235.jpg

The lower part of the pack's rear showing the waist belt and chest belt.

P1050234.jpg

Lid pocket. Note the zip puller and pulling tabs either side of zip.

P1050240.jpg

Lid open showing drawcord fastening. Note the lighter fabric used on bottom of lid.

P1050241.jpg

Velcro-fastening pocket holding back-system mat.

Lots of thanks to Angus Og :You_Rock_

Hope to do the same for the other packs when I get them (and when I get some time - back at work now!).

Cheers,
Claudiasboris

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Great review fella, and some good photos.
I think i might have to get one myself to go with my Sting :D

I know what you mean about no narrowing, it's great and i believe LA are generous with their sizes, the sting is slightly more than 55 and i've managed to get my patrol/exercise kit for a 4 day stint from my issue bergen into the sting :D

How much did you pay for yours?

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Hi Nat,

Thanks. I think it was £35 - yep, just checked Endy's website and it's £35 for Grade 1. Cheaper for lesser grades, but, apart from the colour fade mine handles like new.

One thing that I'd forgotten to mention (though it's evident from the pics): for attaching the PLCE side pocket there's only the zips. There are none of the QR clips that the PLCE bergans make use of for a bomb-proof attacment. The attachment seems fine on the Strike but you can't attach other items via the clips (such as hydration packs). Hope that makes sense.

Claudiasboris

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Yes they could be helpful but I can also see an upside to not having the extra buckles and webbing: less weight on an already sturdy pack (which, judging by the comments on the Sting review, is an important issue).

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i have one of these with the matching side pockets, slightly smaller than the plce ones. absolutely TOP BAG. only semi-neg thing i can say is the back is not quite stiff enough and does crinkle if the load is heavy and packed unevenly. but i love it, and unless stupid loads need carrying it has now replaced my bergan.
Endicotts weere superb also. no connection. just chuffed as a pig in the doo-dah.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers for the review. Im tempted. I keep filling my berghaus crusader, so getting one of these might make me leave some kit at home for a change!

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
It's definitely smaller than the Crusader, though with the right kit you could still use it for a weekender. Just make sure that the back fits and you don't put TOO much weight in it.

Sting and Saracen have arrived now so I'm keen to do review of these next.

Claudiasboris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE