Lowa Megacamp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Some experience with the latest Lowa Megacamp (bought September 2010): The eyelets/hooks were not waterproof. No Lining on the inner side of the hooks. No water protection from the middle eyelet/hook upwards. And an uncomfortable amount of water breaking in. I know, how to seal it, but the quality was worth a complaint.
I contacted Lowa, and the service department manager said that's correct, only the GoreTex-version was waterproof. I complained about the quality and had a very unprofessional kind of "ohhh, I know what I am talking about, I want to go on the Mount McKinley next year"-mail-dialogue. And "All Doublestitched boots are uncomfortable" (!)
So, last pair of Lowa for me. The quality is not really convincing. And the communication didn't feel like talking with experts.

May 21, 2005
dublin ireland
I just looked at the boots advertised and they say, Taller, 10 inch, specialty boot with sturdy ankle shaft for extra support in difficult terrain. Idea for dry climates.

* PU midsole for cushioning and comfortable walking.
* Crampon compatible Vibram Tsavo outsole.
* Glove leather lining.
* Sturdy, water-repellent full grain leather uppers.
For 360$ id expect them to be waterproof ask for your money back and if they dont, report them for false advertising

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Are these the same as the 'Supercamp' boot as advertised in UK?

Water resistant is not the same as waterproof in advertising spiel.

I was thinking of getting these as a summer boot because there was no goretex, therefore being better for breathability but water resistant enough for rain, wet grass and puddles.

My combat gtx boots have been excellent as have my Lowa Tibet gtx.

Last edited:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I just looked at the boots advertised and they say, Taller, 10 inch, specialty boot with sturdy ankle shaft for extra support in difficult terrain. Idea for dry climates.

* PU midsole for cushioning and comfortable walking.
* Crampon compatible Vibram Tsavo outsole.
* Glove leather lining.
For 360$ id expect them to be waterproof ask for your money back and if they dont, report them for false advertising

It's not 'false' advertising. TBH

Ideal for Dry Climates... Is giving you some idea of the level of 'waterproofness' of the boot.
They also claim 'water repellant' leather as Barn Owl Says Water Repellant is not the same as waterproof...

I've got a couple of pairs of Lowa's Mtn Boot GTX and Desert Elite.

The Mtn Boot GTX's are highly water repellant but even with a full GTX lining water will find it's way in. Its just the nature of footwear. The Desert Elites are not waterproof in any way.

Both boots are very well constructed and I find em comfortable with a minimal break in period.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a 100% waterproof leather boot. It's just a case of how long it takes water to get into the boot.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I just looked at the boots advertised and they say, . Idea for dry climates.

* Glove leather lining.

So...
leather on the outside
leather inside, too
"ideal for drier climate"
But not waterproof as expected?
And what, pray, has the price to do with waterproof or not?

Ogden: He, who can read and think, defiinitley has an advantage.

"And the communication didn't feel like talking with experts."
On either side?
Was für ein Spacko!

Last edited:

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
So...
leather on the outside
leather inside, too
"ideal for drier climate"
But not waterproof as expected?
And what, pray, has the price to do with waterproof or not?

Ogden: He, who can read and think, defiinitley has an advantage.

"And the communication didn't feel like talking with experts."
On either side?
Was für ein Spacko!

Actually I didn't expect the boot to be waterproof. A full leather boot should make 8 - 10 cm of water for a short time without a problem. If you cross a river with three or four steps for example. In case there is no lining behind the rivet, the rivet itself has to be kind of 'water-repellant'. But the Megacamp rivets are of very low quality (sorry, if my description is nonsense - not a native speaker). When I walk in a river, I feel the water (on the skin!)about one second after I stepped in the water. And I wear thick Devold Hunting Socks. The amount of water leaking through the rivets is far too high. If they use these rivets, a thin lining would be very nice. This wouldn't make it waterproof, but ok for a river. The reason I mention all this: many army boots (full leather) have this kind of thin leather lining on the inner side of the rivets (in opposition to jungle boots etc.). It is not unusual. Lowa spared another 7 cm of lining. Or didn't stretch the budget by using these rivets.
And I didn't intend to give them back, I know what I bought. And I know how to fix it.
The Lowa manager was unnecessarily arrogant. And he didn't know some fabrics (which occured in our mail-chat), but insisted on his judgement. Just a personal impression, but it didn't feel good.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
A leather stripe sewn from the inside on (or 'over'? or 'on top'? - sorry, not a native speaker) the rivets. Tightly sewn (around each rivet, and you may wax or seamseal the thread). The leather gets wet, but you stop the cascade. A good shoemaker will do it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE