Low tech heater

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
This is one of my favourite ways to keep my tarp shelters warm.

I keep the stuff im truck so I can make one up in a jiffy.

[video=youtube_share;2jHXLvdjb_w]http://youtu.be/2jHXLvdjb_w[/video]

This one cost me a roll of TP and 1 dollar.

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
I like it, but as above /\ /\ time and fumes, any issues ?

No fumes at all the fondue fluid or sterno is CO free. I got almost 2 hours from it but that was over several trips out to the shelter I will have to run a continous test. It heated up my shelter to over 15 degrees centigrade when it was -5 outside and I turned it off because it was too warm. The biggest issue is getting it out if you don't have another can to sufficate it.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
No fumes at all the fondue fluid or sterno is CO free. I got almost 2 hours from it but that was over several trips out to the shelter I will have to run a continous test. It heated up my shelter to over 15 degrees centigrade when it was -5 outside and I turned it off because it was too warm. The biggest issue is getting it out if you don't have another can to sufficate it.

Thanks for the info, sounds like it's a good little back up if needed.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Surely just burning a sterno can would get you similar heat output? Or does the roll act as a wick?

As far as noxious vapours go, I'm not too sure about your comment re none (or at least no CO). Unless you get complete combustion you'll get some CO2/CO, surely? And CO2 will kill you just as dead as CO if you're asleep at the time! (And as CO2 is heavier than air, ground dwellers are particularly susceptible...)

Any experts out there for the definitive safety call?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Seems to be the same concept as a monkeyboy stove - does the paper actually burn once the fuel is consumed? Looks like a good way of making it less dangerous than just lighting the fuel in a can

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Quite a few videos of these kind of heaters exist on Youtube. I don't know how accurate the information in them is but they seem to be used as emergency heaters stored in the back of the car for use should you crash your car in snowy out of the way areas. They say they are safe to use in the car with the window open just a crack. I'm not sure I would trust that though. They burn for quite a few hours and the lid means you can use them for short periods for a quick heat burst.

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
The TP is a wick and wont burn unless the fuel is gone then it will smoke a lot. This works great and it is safe if you have some air moving in your shelter in my truck I would use it in bursts but ensure some air change over. Spend the 2-3 dollars and try it and if its not for you cool. The best application is the shelter I have or the duck blind. As for the truck well if you know what -20 degrees feels like stuck in a car you'll fine a back up soarse of heat. Look up fondue fuel and you can see the stuff is stable and safe , if you don't drink it. Its been over 20 years since I took organic chemistry but lets try...

2 CH3OH + 3 O2 = Heat + 2 CO2 + 4 H2O

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
Surely just burning a sterno can would get you similar heat output? Or does the roll act as a wick?

As far as noxious vapours go, I'm not too sure about your comment re none (or at least no CO). Unless you get complete combustion you'll get some CO2/CO, surely? And CO2 will kill you just as dead as CO if you're asleep at the time! (And as CO2 is heavier than air, ground dwellers are particularly susceptible...)

Any experts out there for the definitive safety call?
A tin of chaffing gel from Makro is good enough for a tent but won't heat large area, just using chaffing gel inside the coffee can would work ok and no fears of the fuel being used up and smoking you out when the bog roll burns.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The TP is a wick and wont burn unless the fuel is gone then it will smoke a lot. This works great and it is safe if you have some air moving in your shelter in my truck I would use it in bursts but ensure some air change over. Spend the 2-3 dollars and try it and if its not for you cool. The best application is the shelter I have or the duck blind. As for the truck well if you know what -20 degrees feels like stuck in a car you'll fine a back up soarse of heat. Look up fondue fuel and you can see the stuff is stable and safe , if you don't drink it. Its been over 20 years since I took organic chemistry but lets try...

2 CH3OH + 3 O2 = Heat + 2 CO2 + 4 H2O

Several things on that!

1. CO2 is heavier than air, and will replace oxygen if it cannot escape out of a confined area, like on the floor of a well-sealed tent (at the bottom - think drifting snow sealing off bottom of tent etc) or caravan/room. You will then die if you're in that enclosed space!
2. Ch3oh s methyl alcohol. Meths is predominantly ethyl alcohol - C2H5OH, although the combustion process is fundamentally the same. However, Methyly alcohol is actually very poisonous - one needs to treat it with great care.
3. That formula only works if you have complete combustion of the alcohol. For incomplete combustion, it looks significantly different (I'll use ethyl alcohol) C2H5OH + 4O2 => 4CO + 6H2O which is Carbon monoxide and water. Which is a competely different ball-game! Carbon Monoxide has a greater affinity for haemoglobin than oxygen, so sticks to the red blood cells, which can then no longer carry oxygen around the body as its "oxygen carrier" positions are full of CO. And you die.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Actually, reality is that in most fires/combustion. you'll get a mix of complete and incomplete combustion with both CO and CO2 produced. Which is a bit unfortunate, as CO is lighter than air, and CO2 heavier - so its got both altitude "ends" covered with potentially lethal gases! Which is why good vntilation at both top and bottom of tents is important for safety if you bring fire inside a tent.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I use a Heat Pal heater running methanol and the principle is similar really. You could use something like fire retardant wadding of some kind as the 'wick' instead of TP I suppose, make it reusable.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
Something to be aware of, some food tins are galvanised on the inside Eg Heinz tomato soup. I don't know if the can would get hot enough but zinc fumes are poisonous.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
For a dirt cheap heater that's pretty cool and used in that situation would be fine! I guess it will give a KW or so of heat but probably will be a fuel hog?

As usual you can make these things as technical as you want and the principal of container, wick and fuel is as old as the hills. I will probably have a go at making something similar but for tent use. A smaller version with a carbon felt wick and a reservoir packed with the stuff so it can't spill. I think a flame guard would be a good idea, a can with holes punched in or something?

It's basicley a alcohol stove at the end of the day! Thanks for sharing op!

Steve.

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
For a dirt cheap heater that's pretty cool and used in that situation would be fine! I guess it will give a KW or so of heat but probably will be a fuel hog?

As usual you can make these things as technical as you want and the principal of container, wick and fuel is as old as the hills. I will probably have a go at making something similar but for tent use. A smaller version with a carbon felt wick and a reservoir packed with the stuff so it can't spill. I think a flame guard would be a good idea, a can with holes punched in or something?

It's basicley a alcohol stove at the end of the day! Thanks for sharing op!

Steve.

thanks man I wanted to make one in steel container with a screw on lid. I'd make it 1/2 the size.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE