Loupe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
A handy, but under-rated bit of kit especially for those interested in natural history.

A loupe is a small, high powered magnifing glass - typically they magnify 8 to 12 times and have a 2cm achromatic lens that folds away into a metal housing. Weighs an ounce or two, costs a few pounds (though you can pay more for really high class optics...) I often take one when I'm out and about in the woods.

Very helpful for nature observation.
Useful geological tool (I sometimes find gold flecks in quartz and other rocks, and looking at panned placer gold dust shows it to look just like museum nuggets, but smaller.
Handy to check blade edges for uniformity or damage.
Also makes it easy to check proof marks on sporting arms, hallmarks, etc.
Probably less good for fire lighting than an ordinary magnifier, as they are small.

Handy bit of kit.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Doc said:
A loupe is a small, high powered magnifing glass -
Probably less good for fire lighting than an ordinary magnifier, as they are small..

Oh! I don't know...My wife often says "size isn't everything...!" :eek:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
does anyone know of a good source of these, i have been looking for one for a while for plant ident. i believe they are avalible up to 30x magnification, is this true?

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
tomtom said:
does anyone know of a good source of these, i have been looking for one for a while for plant ident. i believe they are avalible up to 30x magnification, is this true?

there is some on evilbay here don't know if it's what you are after...

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Good post Doc.

I always have one of these handy. It's amazing how beautiful everyday plants and insects are when viewed close up! Never tried looking at rocks ...... will have to give that one a go ..... :You_Rock_ (no pun intended :eek: )

I have Douplet Double Hand Lens 10x and 20x from Alana Ecology.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
You can get a fairly decent loupe for a reasonable price here.

It's not perfect but it works pretty good and it's excellent for the price. Maybe you can find a source across the pond and save some shipping.

belomo2b.jpg

belomo1b.jpg

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Go to Google and enter "episcope" . You'll find a very nice little device which was originally made in Germany and is now produced in Japan. I think you'll like it......Bruce

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I also carry a loupe, 5X, every day in my waist pocket as I find hard to see the small printed directions on packages (condition of age). :D Because of this habit I get to use it on regular basis in many other instances. The loupe/magnifying glass is about 2" dia folding into a soft black vynil case $10.00cnd. CG :yo:

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
I use them daily at work, the Ruper 8x15 is ideal for most plant id etc. the 20x is perfect for bryophytes.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Sorry to resurrect this blast from the past.

A loupe is a great item to have for nature study, checking bevels when sharpening, etc, etc. People who use mine often ask where to get one, so i had been thinking about a group buy.

However, I have not been impressed with the £3 budget models, and this has put me off.

I see that BBC wildlife magazine tested some, and the best buy model is available here: http://www.theloupestore.co.uk/Magnifiers-Triplet/Triplet-Loupe-10x-21mm-101-102-104.html

It is only £6.90 and in December you get free delivery. The volume discount is very small so there is no point in a group buy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought a brass one, that looks very like that one, the other day in Bill's Tool Store for £2. It's a x10, and it seems pretty sound :)

tbh usually I just carry a fresnel lens, but the loupe caught my eye.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE