Lost or injured in Galloway Forest - Scotland

Apr 13, 2012
Liverpool
HI all

if i was in Galloway forest and a friend hurt his foot what is the procedure

would i really call 999 for this or is the park rangers who may help and are they contactable ?

if the is already a page dedicated to this kinda stuff i wouldn't mind having a look

id feel a bit of a tool getting mountain rescue on the phone for an ingrown toenail lmao

thanks in advance and pardon my ignorance :)

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Hi - welcome to BCUK.

Firstly, it depends on how bad the injury is. If it's a slight sprain then most folks would try to get out with help from their immediate party (assuming not a solo trip). If it comes down to a serious injury such that you are effectively immobilised or worse, in a life threatening situation, then yes, 999 is the way to go, that will set off alerts and get the appropriate service out to you, be it ambulance, mountain rescue. Local ranger services, if available, will probably be brought into that loop too.

As always, be prepared when you go anywhere, plan in advance and do some research on information available on local services, what numbers you can call etc and always, ALWAYS, tell someone where you are going (preferably with a route identified) and when you intend coming back. That way, if you have problems and can't contact anyone because of no phone signal, there will be someone expecting you back at a certain time, failing which they will call the emergency services.

Please DO NOT become one of those people who call up mountain rescue asking them to bring up a plaster, water or a spare jersey, that can just endanger someone else's life.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Depends on how good your first-aid knowledge is. If you're comfortable with being able to diagnose effetively and think you can get out without much discomfort to the patient, then do so. If you have any doubts whatsoever, phone 999. Better to be safe than sorry imho. From my discussions with Mountain Rescue staff (and RNLI staff, come to think of it) over the years, they'd much rather have 100 false alarms than one death or serious injury because someone didn't want to put them to any trouble.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
As above, get the local rangers number before you go and have it handy. In an emergency call 999 first and then call the ranger, who can probably assist with opening locked vehicle gates, finding you or maybe even assist with off road vehicles. The emergency services will probably alert the rangers, but not always.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Its a good idea to remember that 112 is the standard EU emergency service number, which works in the UK just the same as 999 .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE