Lost my Phone

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I did a dumb thing over the weekend and managed to loose my personal mobile phone :eek: I got it blocked as soon as I realised it so fingers crossed I won't be getting some astronomical phone bill with luck

It was an old mobile so no real loss apart from all my contacts were on there and I hadn't backed it up in any way shape or form :censored:

Anyway I had a lot of numbers from people on the forum over time but I can't remember all of you who have shared their number with me. So what I'm asking is if you've got my number can you either text me your name or PM me with your number.

The other thing is my replacement phone is a Samsung GalaxySIII so a big step up from what I used to have but to ensure this doesn't happen again does anyone know of an app that would allow me to back my sim card up to my computer?

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
As it's an android phone you are going to need a Gmail account. With that all your contacts can be synced online, makes for very easy editing of contacts. Plus you can add email address, birthdays, address etc in to the contacts. It works really well.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
As it's an android phone you are going to need a Gmail account. With that all your contacts can be synced online, makes for very easy editing of contacts. Plus you can add email address, birthdays, address etc in to the contacts. It works really well.

+1
Also a free tool you can download for outlook that will sync your google calendar. If you use one that is.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Morpeth, Northumberland
I have an SIII mini and have downloaded an app called 'avast anti theft'.
This allows me to lock, wipe or locate my phone by remote in the event that I lose it.
Well worth a look!

Sent from my boggy hole using tapatalk 2

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
There is also this, http://preyproject.com/

I have used it a number of times, on many systems and it's saved various bacon multiple times.

The S3 has http://findmymobile.samsung.com/login.do which I have used successfully several times

it will locate, track, lock, remote wipe if you want, forward calls to another phone, make an audible alert- so if you are out and have a friend with you, a bush will make a loud noise etc etc

personally tho, i use a custom tasker profile, and also a combination of locus pro live tracking for when tracking is needed.

Keeping phone numbers on Sim card is very old hat now, best to use google contacts ( or samsung contacts if you dont like google) they will back up to samsung account but cant be editied

kies is used to sync samsung contacts and samsung calendar etc to outlook or simply back up to PC

Al

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The S3 has http://findmymobile.samsung.com/login.do which I have used successfully several times

it will locate, track, lock, remote wipe if you want, forward calls to another phone, make an audible alert- so if you are out and have a friend with you, a bush will make a loud noise etc etc

personally tho, i use a custom tasker profile, and also a combination of locus pro live tracking for when tracking is needed.

Keeping phone numbers on Sim card is very old hat now, best to use google contacts ( or samsung contacts if you dont like google) they will back up to samsung account but cant be editied

kies is used to sync samsung contacts and samsung calendar etc to outlook or simply back up to PC

Al

You see, this is where the old paranoid little me comes out. Back it up to Google, put it in the cloud, store it in the net. No I'd rather not actually, along with people having and linking social networks to email accounts then storing phonebooks and files online too with these folk the dossier that these companies have on you is something that the old Stasi and its counterpoints would've wet themselves to get. And the things that folk put out there... some will never work if more employers check them online. Never mind ID theft. Leave it on your phone, pass word protect, if you loose it dumb luck, you can back most of these onto your PC if you treat your phone as a HD. Don't have your PC remember passwords. There are many simple things to keep the amateur out. The professional you'll never keep out - even physically destroyed discs can be read, or partially at least. I know that here I am posting on a social site, but here is my one weakness.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You see, this is where the old paranoid little me comes out. Back it up to Google, put it in the cloud, store it in the net. No I'd rather not actually, along with people having and linking social networks to email accounts then storing phonebooks and files online too with these folk the dossier that these companies have on you is something that the old Stasi and its counterpoints would've wet themselves to get. And the things that folk put out there... some will never work if more employers check them online. Never mind ID theft. Leave it on your phone, pass word protect, if you loose it dumb luck, you can back most of these onto your PC if you treat your phone as a HD. Don't have your PC remember passwords. There are many simple things to keep the amateur out. The professional you'll never keep out - even physically destroyed discs can be read, or partially at least. I know that here I am posting on a social site, but here is my one weakness.

Your drifting near to tin foil hat territory GB lol. You share as much or as little as you want with Google, Facebook et al. Its great having access to online storage, I share a lot of stuff with members here and on other forums using Skydrive but... I'd never ever rely on cloud storage for sole back up; the internet is not as robust as some believe and there will be times when you can't access your data. Back up at home using several different systems, USB memory sticks are dirt cheap, back up to several of them too and store them at your relatives, get them to do the same with you; encryption is easy enough to do.

KEYWORD OF THE DAY = Backup.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Try avg app. It's an antivirus free app for smartphones and tablets. It also has a remote tracking/locking function. Also avg's tune up app is worth getting too.
I'm also signed up to the Samsung tracking/locking option. Never used either as never lost or had a phone stolen.

I've backed up to laptop, Google, Facebook, Microsoft outlook.com app, also Microsoft live. I have it on sim, phone and micro SD card in the phone plus one outside of the phone which has a mirror of the card in the phone.

I've managed to wipe my contacts several times now, don't know how but I did, but I've always just synchronized it and get them all back. I do have to delete or merge contacts when I do this as I have some contacts on some places but not others or have half my numbers for one contact on one cloud storage but the rest on another. Really must rationalize my contacts. Also need to Bluetooth them to my work phone sometime soon and my throwaway mobile only used for times in the wild.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I back up all my contacts by writing them in a little book I got from Smiths ... no danger of it ever being electronically hacked and as it stays at home it cannot get lost ... unless I come home to no home!

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
If its an android everything will be there ready for you when you get a new one these days you can't take a picture without it automatically being stored for you on google+ . So other than any files like music or note or the like you will be Ok . My missus is selling a mint Samsung 3 on the cheap too if anyone need one
.(distracted post ignore me unless anyone needs a phone lol)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I was going to suggest the paper and pencil route - I have a pocket diary to put important contact in that I update every year. But someone else has suggested the non-technical solution already.

When I told some-one the other day that I keep a paper written record of what I'm supposed to be doing they looked at me like I'd just crawled out of a cave and was going to bash their head in with a pointy stick...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE