Lost at Sea

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Somthing about this article just doesn't seem right. They mention that the family included the two adults plus their youg son and his young cousin. Yet they can't identify (as yet) who they are or where they're from. However if it is indeed not a hoax on the part of the family it is a good example of the wrong things to do:
1. They paid no attention to the weather warnings
2. They were either off course or at least confused about their location when they made their distress call

Anyway here's the article: www.radiopatriot.blogspot.com/2013/02/family-missing-at-sea.html

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
It's not uncommon for people in distress to give totally irrelevant information under stress conditions. He's probably panicing and gabbling on about his Mrs, son and the other youngster before he's given a positive location, the boat's proper name/call sign or port of departure/ destination. I'm sure the US Coastguard expects the same as ours. Call repeated May Day then Who you are, where you are, what's the problem and what help you need and any other info.
Difficult enough to find people in distress in the skinny gap between UK and France, let alone off the Pacific coast of the US. If it's real I hope they find them for the kids sake at least.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
They might not have been from the region but have been sailing a long distance - which would also explain missing the weather warnings. Or receiving them but simply not being able to sail out of the way.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah I had considered the expected confusion/panic that would go with being in the situation. Not really accusing anyone of a hoax; just allowing for the possibility.

At any rate I also hope they're found safely. A proper (read "modern") marine radio with DSC and a registered MMSI would have gone a long way towards loacting them.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
A proper (read "modern") marine radio with DSC and a registered MMSI would have gone a long way towards loacting them.

Very true. Hitting the red button would at least give the Coastguard a chance of finding them. I've got personal experience of the skill and abilities of the US Coast Guard, Santaman. In a word..magnificent! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE