Lord Of The Rings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Being a bit of a kit fanatic, it has always amused me to try and figure out what different types of soldier/book characters/war-hammer figures etc. would carry in their kit.

So just for the why not of it, pick a lord of the rings character and tell us what you think they would carry.

This thread will either die or thrive:D.

Search for elvenising my kitnon this forum some great ideas in there.
theres also a ranger reenactment forum that I can dig the link out for later.
be interested to see what folk say..

in my eyes stereotyping into various types.
elves-ultralight weighter
hobbits-traditionalists lots of canvas and vintage style stuff
rangers- toughie erm military influenced
dwarves more vintage tradtional kit fans
orcs-primative tech fans

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Isnt this all a bit wierd?

Haha perhaps, but then some might the same about sleeping in the woods for fun, no? ;)

Samwise's gear always appeals to me. Pretty sure Tolkien gave a pretty good description of his kit. I'll take a look when I get home.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Isnt this all a bit wierd?

Yes.
My nickname from Waaaaaaaay before the film was made has been "Gimli".
Like my namesake it has to be trad gear, lots of wool. leather, heavy metal and an axe.... it would not be Bushcraft otherwise!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Haha perhaps, but then some might the same about sleeping in the woods for fun, no? ;)

Samwise's gear always appeals to me. Pretty sure Tolkien gave a pretty good description of his kit. I'll take a look when I get home.

Not that good :)
From memory:
Rope (eventually), cloak, flint & tinder, pots and pans, shortsword/knife.
I can't remember much about his breeks etc. but you wouldn't have to worry about boots :D

The kit varies based on where they've been too. For example, pretty good after Lothlorien. Not so nice after the watch tower in Morder.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I believe that Viggo Mortensen took Aragorns "kit" very seriously as part of his role prep... his sword sheath had a sharpening kit attached to it as a wandering ranger would want kit handy etc. Fair bit of info about the kit on the DVD "extras" from the Weta workshop..

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This thread has joined my 'bizarre BCUK threads' list. If it was any action figuare then

me
IMG_9445.jpg

John Fenna

mu9FltmV8BPzsqL5NEVHP_g.jpg

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
This thread has joined my 'bizarre BCUK threads' list. If it was any action figuare then

me
IMG_9445.jpg

John Fenna

mu9FltmV8BPzsqL5NEVHP_g.jpg

You wouldn't be derailing this thread would you? :)

Besides, I see John as more of a Geyperman type. No sheep but a goat should do:

geyperman_legionario_2.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You wouldn't be derailing this thread would you? :)

Besides, I see John as more of a Geyperman type. No sheep but a goat should do:

geyperman_legionario_2.jpg

I thought thread de-railment was de rigueur these days? No, John has a history of African expeditions so the Bwana outfit is more apt IMHO

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE