Looks like comet Ison is no more.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
VAPOURISED!!!! Well when you are a ball of ice flying within a million miles of the sun I guess it is a hard one to stay cooooooool.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
Bugger.. I had a nice mountain picked out to hike up and watch it on Saturday morning, will have to just stare at the sky aimlessly now... :)

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Then there was the Perseid meteor shower not long back... it was going to be 'the greatest astronomical light show for decades' and would 'light up the sky'. Like a silly fool I took them at their word, persuaded my wife to trek to the waterfall north of Postbridge, pitched on top of the hill above it to see a clear sky whilst my wife complained constantly. 'Why didn't we watch it from the garden? Did you bring any wine? Why beans for dinner, we could have had pasta....' whilst I assured her it would all be worth the effort when we saw the celestial firework-show.

Saw about two brief flashes in the sky all night whilst my wife radiated resentful smugness at me.

Brian Cox is dead to me now. Dead to me.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Ice ball?! That cometary theory collapsed years ago. This is what is more likely and it will introduce you to a whole new World of Science.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34wtt2EUToo

oh, they said on channel 4 that it came from the outer limits of the solar system, somewhere near where voyager just passed through. Knocked on its journey by a passing star, god knows what effect a passing star would have on the solar system

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A shame really, I was looking forward to seeing it. :(

oh, they said on channel 4 that it came from the outer limits of the solar system, somewhere near where voyager just passed through. Knocked on its journey by a passing star, god knows what effect a passing star would have on the solar system

Not a 'passing' star but a nearby one which would have a little gravitational pull or push on all around it, something gets nudged, it nudges something else and before you know it a lump or rock or ice or both sails into the inner system.

The place where most of that stuff sits is the Ooort cloud and that is an unimaginable distance out, see this pic.

:)

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
A shame really, I was looking forward to seeing it. :(

Not a 'passing' star but a nearby one which would have a little gravitational pull or push on all around it, something gets nudged, it nudges something else and before you know it a lump or rock or ice or both sails into the inner system.

The place where most of that stuff sits is the Ooort cloud and that is an unimaginable distance out, see this pic.

:)

Like other imaginary concepts born of the inadequate assumptions of the Gravitational Universe paradigm there is no real evidence that the Oort Cloud actually exists. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34wtt2EUToo

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
When one of your proponents of the electric universe designs and successfully launches something as sophisticated as a GPS navigation satellite (which btw relies on the principles outlined by Einstein in his theory of General Relativity), then I'll listen to you.

Until then, could you please give it a rest? This thread was about the comet Ison.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
When one of your proponents of the electric universe designs and successfully launches something as sophisticated as a GPS navigation satellite (which btw relies on the principles outlined by Einstein in his theory of General Relativity), then I'll listen to you.

Until then, could you please give it a rest? This thread was about the comet Ison.

I was making clear and on topic comment on Ison and different cometary theory including the Oort Cloud theory.

I had no idea that there was strict criteria to be met before someone could share an opinion or information in your esteemed presence, thank you Charly for sharing your wisdom in such a humble and tolerant way. I will now busy myself constructing a GPS satellite in my back yard and perhaps you could help me launch it as the only way I can think of at the moment is through the use of hot air.

Here is Ron Hatch, well qualified in the field of GPS, explaining why GPS being a proof of Einsteinian theory is a popular fiction that many uninformed people fall for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGZ1GU_HDwY

And to think it was EUM proponent Wal Thornhill that was the only one in the World to accurately predict what would happen when the impactor hit comet Temple 1! NASA was completely baffled but to the EUM crew it was easily explainable which is what they do here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34wt...ew-vl&list=PLwOAYhBuU3UfvhvcT1lZA6KbSdh0K2EpH

Oh, and by the way, there are in fact many open minded humble people here who are very interested in alternative, maverick and cutting edge Scientific theories particularly when they open up a hugely different understanding of just about every existing field of study. Perhaps these same people would have been interested in what Galileo had to say if they lived back then, you know, that maverick who bucked the mainstream popular fiction of his day and who turned out to be right.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Can I just stake a claim for those of us who neither know nor care what an Oort cloud is or isn't, and were merely hoping for a celestial light-show? Comets could be God's dandruff for all I care, I just want spectacle.

Shallow, I know, but sincerely felt.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Can I just stake a claim for those of us who neither know nor care what an Oort cloud is or isn't, and were merely hoping for a celestial light-show? Comets could be God's dandruff for all I care, I just want spectacle.

+1

I haven't seen much apart from stars for a long time... I think Hale-bop or whatever it was called was the last celestial body I saw... Plenty of "heavenly bodies" but I'm getting to old for the chase these days :cool:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51

Oh I suspect there will be another one along in no time, perhaps several all at once. ;) What we don't want is one coming in like the Russians got recently, scary stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ce6Pk_0TNE

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE