Looks like a cherry but it isn't. Help

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Can anyone help me identify this tree in my garden? In the spring it has flowers and leaves just like a cherry and throughout the summer that's what I thought it was.

The tree is about 14-16ft with a spread of around 10-12ft.

0410101701-00.jpg

99% of the leaves have already fallen but here a few that haven't

0410101702-00.jpg

The fruits hang pendulous just like a cherry. Thousands of them.

0410101703-01.jpg

Cross section of a fruit. The recent heavy rain has caused a lot of the fruit to swell and burst it's skin. Each fruit has several small apple like pips in it. The flesh is mushy and very tart.

0410101708-00.jpg

Any thought as to what it is?

Well so much for fresh cherries from the tree. Looks like a trip to Tesco.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I doubt cherry. All Prunus sp. are stone fruits with a single seed in the middle.
The fruit anatomy means something else but what, I don't know. Very strange.

Of course, there's every possibility that the tree is XYZ "cherry" as the common name for the over all growth habit.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Well that's what I always though that the Prunus sp had a single stone. This one has me confused. From the growth habit, the spring blossoms, leaves and now the fruit I was convinced it was a Prunus. Thanks for your help I'm going to keep researching this one as no wannabe cherry will beat me. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The only thing I can think of is some bizarre crab apple? Looks like a cherry and cherry leaf to me thoough

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm sure I've seen it in a horticultural ornamental tree catalogue. Was years back, think it was from China or Japan.
Could be wrong and it's some weird hybrid but might be worth having a look around there. (Or pop a question up on the Gardeners Question Time website.)

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Looks like Malus to me. Probably Sargent's apple (sometimes Sargent crabapple). Lots of varieties, so difficult to tell exactly. I don't quite recognise the serarrations on the leaves, and it's usually not that tall (around 2m) But close enough to investigate furhter, I think. Search for "Malus" and "sargentii".

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
OK, possibly Malus sp. Cut very carefully on the "equator" of a few fruits. Malus sp. all look the same in cross section.
But that anatomy extends to other trees and shrubs, it all depends on which part(s) of the flower contribute to the fleshy part of the fruit.
Are these fruits in clusters with one of them noticably larger than the others in the cluster?

Idea: can you ask the Royal Horticultural Society? Send them leaves, twigs and fruits?

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll try to snap a photo of the bark today although it's a really crappy day wet and windy i.e. the perfect day for a bimble in the woods (well for me at least:))

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Crappy day? Rug up, pick a bucketful and make some serious jam. Wet snow here most of the day.
In the conifer forests, the wet snow drips like slush = need a serious hat! But there's no wind.
Cold, quiet. Haven't been out for so long (bad ankle sprain) I can't tell you if the bears have quit for the year.

The sled heads (local snowmobilers) said it was up to the headlights "up top" and approx 2/3 beer can per hour.
Multimillion dollar business here. With nitrous boost, best sled here on the dyno is 450HP.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Yesterday was much to nice a day to waste taking photos, wet and windy. I asked my wife if she needed anything from the village shop she did and was surprised when I didn't grab the car keys. I told her it was too good a day to be inside the car...she thinks I'm mad. :)

Okay here's a few photo's of the truck best I could get.

0412102026-00.jpg
0412102026-01.jpg
0412102027-01.jpg

As suggested (thanks for that) I cut a fruit round it's equator. I was hoping or expecting the 5 pointed star of seeds. What I got was a "capsule" of 4 tightly packed seeds which separated from the flesh I guess so it will pass through an animals or birds digestive system unharmed.
0412102036-00.jpg
Sorry for the bad photo but I hope you can see what it is.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The taxonomy, the classification, of plants is based almost entirely on the structures in the flowers and the fruits.
Superficially, this thing looks cherry-like but the fruit anatomy is not cherry.

The rest of the "entirely" is a microscopic examination of the wood anatomy. Groups of species get confusing (red oak group, white oak group, pines, spruces and so on.)
Apple wood and cherry woods are quite distinctive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE