Looking to try a new knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
Its been suggested I try a smaller knife than my current one.
So far the only one's Ive seen I like the look of are the stalker's at http://www.fieldandforces.co.uk/ does anyone have any experience with these blades? are they suitable for general camp/bushcraft chores?
If not can anyone recommend another choice (close to same price range kinda skint atm ) and where to to get it from?
All thought's suggestion's and idea's will be gratefuly recieved thanks.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hi smudge,

It looks like it would be a cheap knife that would not be easy to use and being steel, hard to sharpen. It says it is for hunting, so i dont know if it is good for bushcraft.
I, personally, wouldnt go near it. It looks dodgy.
For a good knife try the Mora traing knife, exellent for bushcraft etc, sharpens to a razor edge at www.raymears.com.

Or the Lapp Puukko as reviewed in the review section at www.woodlandorganics.com or www.kellam.co.uk under j-line.

You could also go for the clipper, i havent used it but it is reviewed well...... www.survivalschool.co.uk

Hope this helps,

Jake

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Kellam also do some excellent plastic handled utility knives with carbon steel blades.... you can get these razor sharp :) Pretty cheap too.

Ed

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
You've had some great suggestions there - you're sure to get a good knife.

I would also suggest a good, solid folding knife for all those tasks where you don't need a fixed blade. I'd suggest a Swiss Army Knife (which one you go for really depends of budget and how many different blades you need).

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Have you decided?
My puukko arrived. I would seriously reccomend it!

Jake

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hello if you are looking for a utility knife I can told to you my experience.
I have:
Kellam: M541, utility series carbon and stainless
Frost: clipper carbon and stainless, Swiss Army tmeple steel=carbon.
Winners:
Little blade Kellam M541, why? razor sharp confortable handle so light for neck carry
Large blade Frost Swiss army, why? I prefer over the others becouse wider and thicker blade, very confortable handle, symetric shealth and light weight.

If you are want DIY knife get one Brusseto PT blade 9.5cm long from Brisa what a blade and so good price.

Enjoy

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Super list of blades! :-D Any one would be great for bushcraft!

faca said:
Hello if you are looking for a utility knife I can told to you my experience.
I have:
Kellam: M541, utility series carbon and stainless
Frost: clipper carbon and stainless, Swiss Army tmeple steel=carbon.
Winners:
Little blade Kellam M541, why? razor sharp confortable handle so light for neck carry
Large blade Frost Swiss army, why? I prefer over the others becouse wider and thicker blade, very confortable handle, symetric shealth and light weight.

If you are want DIY knife get one Brusseto PT blade 9.5cm long from Brisa what a blade and so good price.

Enjoy

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
Wow! thanks for the replies and comments a couple there well within my price range. I wont find much use for a new knife until May now so I'm bookmarking those links and penny pinching from now til then see what I can get.
Thanx again guys

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I,ve got one of those roe stalker knives, DONT TOUCH IT . it looks the part but is a sod to sharpen and dosent keep its edge for long.the finger groove also hinders a decent grip unless your cutting away from yourself.It also is all but imposible to use on a firesteel unless you use the cutting edge

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
Ive heard good and bad things about whitby,the Whitby "Swedish" sheath knife LOOKS the ticket plus I gotta admit I prefer wood over plastic handle's (personaly),I suppose at that price i could get that and the mora from the Ray Mears site as that has good reviews incase the whitby isnt upto the job. Thanx for tha Link grumit.
I have used smaller blades in the past I just prefered the bigger MOD issue partly cos it cost me bugger all and partly it enabled me to do away with a hatchet but on a recomendation to try a smaller blade I thought I'd give one another go.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
my wife has been using them for about five years in the kitchen
after nicking the first one from me but she has a tendensy to chuck them out with the spud peelings so now i'm going to order the red and yellow
so she can see them :-D

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
DO NOT BUY A WHITBY KNIFE.

I have about 10 of those i picked up for pence.
I use them for chopping kindling. The grinds are totaly uneven, both in depth and height. They are simply absolute rubbish, you'd be better off with the edge of your hand.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE