Hi from Surrey + Looking at a new knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 30, 2015
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Thought I would sign up and finally say hello having been lurking in the background and reading a few threads :D

I’ve got a couple of knifes that get taken out recreationally when I go camping or doing survival weekends. At the moment I’m also a scout leader so there’s a couple of toys to take when we go on a green field camp. My main knife at the moment is a full size straight edge USMC KA Bar which is uber reliable and can take one hell of a beating. However I’m looking at getting something which is a bit less in your face, especially for setting an example around kids with something practical and sensible. It’ll be primarily used for fire lighting, general camp utility, carving, cooking and maybe go with me canoeing on trips. If any tasks such as batoning are required the trusty KA Bar can be called in.

The knife in question is linked below, it’s a TBS Lynx with a Micarta handle made of N695 Stainless steel. Based upon my requirements it looks to be a sensible size and quality knife fitting all of my criteria, it also has the nice touches of holding a fire stick and stone.

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/...resteel-edition---natural-micarta-21301-p.asp

Now my questions are has anyone got any experience with TBS? Or if not what do you think of the knife based upon the link? I’ve decided to opt for the Micarta handle for durability as it should stand up to a lot of abuse rather than the curly birch, however I’m torn between getting the high carbon steel version or the stainless steel version. Logic dictates to me that the stainless will be better suited to the UK’s climate and more suitable for any potential use near water but I’m quite happy to be swayed by argument either way.

Let me know your thoughts….

Mark

(Sorry for all of the questions at once :eek:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE