New Knife from Mick91

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
New knife from Mick

Today I'm the happy recipient of the newest of Mick's knives.
Ladies and gentlemen I give you ,
The Buzzard.

b91a73a461e03720b22add2e7501d281.jpg

8d2ec2a4cd64bc5bc95391eb718aaefa.jpg

This knife is beautifully made, the pictures really don't do it justice!

I won this knife as part of a competition that Mick was running to name his knives...

More on here...

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...ead.php?t=9714

Mick gave me total choice of materials for the Buzzard.
I chose Yew for the scales because Yew is a Native species and has magical and mystical properties.
Longbows were traditionally made out of Yew for the beloved English Archer.

Additionally, I think Yew has a beautiful grain !

04356debe262727be484152c9c6cdf8c.jpg

5cd6d092d78231d88eab1ca20e13ec18.jpg

The blade is RWL 34 , this choice was (luckily for me)suggested by Mick , and a fine choice it was too.
Its full tang and it measures 100mm long , 25mm wide and 4mm thick.
36037740bd91c046f69d3674d6db9171.jpg

I chose a scandi grind for sharpening ease.
But I won't need to do that for a longtime as its razor sharp now and I could easily split a nats pube in half ...
Here's a picture of what it can do to a rolled up magazine...

66a40e32e3f730bdc1f889c502ae5547.jpg

The mosaic pins really compliment the craftsmanship and just show how much work was put into this piece.
9c5fbffe70753f9c0471b112ebca6241.jpg

The weight and balance of this little beauty is perfect for me .
...I'm absolutely stoked with this knife and I'm embarrassed to say I won't be using my Mora for a while...

Additionally Mick kept me updated on all the progress and sent me pictures of the knife whilst still under construction...

As if that wasn't enough, Mick has given me a full fact sheet for the steel (from damasteel) and a very nice letter with full instructions for the care , and do's and don't s for the care and maintenance of this gorgeous knife.
As well as an offer to maintain, repair or replace should anything happen to it!!!
You can't beat that! It's just top notch service!!!
08cf05a5c2ab7cdc6d51e1187803d6ba.jpg

I can't recommend Mick's knives enough , and I will be making a review very soon , as soon as I take it out and play with it!!

For anyone that is thinking of buying a new knife , I strongly recommend you speak to Mick first !
His name on Natural Bushcraft and BCUK is Mick91 and if you would like to place an order , his mail address is:

mchughcustomknives@gmail.com

You'l be surprised at the prices too, as I had already contacted and queried about the prices for his knives!
The man is an insane hobbyist and charges very little for the pleasure.

A lot of knife for the money!

I don't really know how to finish this post , other than saying a very very big thank you to the man himself Mick91!

You've excelled yourself again and I'm stoked with this knife!

Another Buzzard has hatched !!!
Thank you Mick!

Last edited:

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
You're One very lucky chap mate, very envious! That's a stunning looking knife. What about a sheath, do you already have one, or will you make / commission one for it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
You're One very lucky chap mate, very envious! That's a stunning looking knife. What about a sheath, do you already have one, or will you make / commission one for it?

Hi Ferret75, thanks! I do feel lucky !
I never win anything, so this was a big surprise!

As for the sheath, I bought a cheap one from Amazon for now, ideally I'll make my own , but got too much stuff to sort out until then...
Time is scarce at the moment with work and personal commitments.

Do you work with leather? Is that why you asked?
Thanks for looking

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Hi Ferret75, thanks! I do feel lucky !
I never win anything, so this was a big surprise!

As for the sheath, I bought a cheap one from Amazon for now, ideally I'll make my own , but got too much stuff to sort out until then...
Time is scarce at the moment with work and personal commitments.

Do you work with leather? Is that why you asked?
Thanks for looking
No mate I don't... not yet anyway! Same as yourself really, lots going on and lots of things I want to try and learn, including making my own knife and sheath.

I asked because I wondered if Mick made them and there was no photo included. There are several excellent leather workers and craftspeople on this forum mate, as you may have probably seen already. I'd happily recommend any of them in the Makers section. Just send them a PM and in my experience they will be more than helpful!

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
No mate I don't... not yet anyway! Same as yourself really, lots going on and lots of things I want to try and learn, including making my own knife and sheath.

I asked because I wondered if Mick made them and there was no photo included. There are several excellent leather workers and craftspeople on this forum mate, as you may have probably seen already. I'd happily recommend any of them in the Makers section. Just send them a PM and in my experience they will be more than helpful!

I don't actually. I can supply a sheath at cost price usually though, or have a couple of people I recommend for handmade ones

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE