looking for tarp advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

elhig

Jan 31, 2010
glasgow
Hi All,

got another n00b question for ya.

I've got a weekend pass for the end of the month and will most likely be heading up to loch ard or similar (loads of trees, loads of moss on the ground). I'm thinking about taking my new tarp and bivi instead of a tent to save on weight. Never used either before & was wondering what the general rules are?

I've had a look at the tarp tutorials and I'm reaching overload with the different ways to pitch. which configurations do you prefer and why (i.e. when would you use a wedge instead of a ridge line)

Also what kind of ground conditions do you look for when finding a place to pitch (do you look for grass instead of moss etc)

sorry if this is a basic beginer question

Graeme

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
hiya graeme

first of all never be afraid to ask a question cos you think its a bigginers question we all had to learn at some point.

now inregards to your question you can pitch it how ever you like and if you look through these thread some were is a tarp configeration thread with pictures and explanations if you give me two seconds i will find it for you

drew

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52540&highlight=tarp

one of many linkys i could have posted

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I keep meaning to try the cave set-up sometime. I kind of need to get round to parent's to test drive it on their lawn. I've only used it once in an A frame. I took it up into the hills without trying it out and started to attempt the cave but got frustrated after about 10 minutes and switched to the a frame and 8 minutes later it was up and tightened up then re-adjusted then the groundsheet was down then re-adjusted because it wasn't perfect. Still only 8 minutes for that is not bad for a first attempt.

It was against a vertical crag wall with only just enough gap to put a guy down to the ground and to squeeze out. So that meant no wind could get in there so it was as good as a cave. Right down to the ground (or about 1" gap). Perfect night's sleep and woke up to see the cloud below me. Perfect night's sleep. I was in a bivvy and forgot to sort out a ground sheet so I had to open out a roof rack cover I bougth cheaply from Aldi for a first tarp (£3 with eyelets in a kind of woven sheet) turns out it is waterproof and actually quite light. Good job it was in the car really as i forgot my ground sheet (which is about 1200g).

My advice is to just get out to a flat piece of grass with your tarp and poles and just try things out. Afterall you only need to creat a space under a sheet of plastic to cover you. It doesn't have to look good just work. Style can be built up over time and with experience. It is likely you will have done the same with wildcamping with a tent or backpacking. You start off with too much gear then hone it to what you really need and you become more organised. Similar with everything outdoors related, you make mistakes but end up there with peseverence. That's what I think. You might do quite nicely on your first trip out but there will always be something to improve on.

elhig

Jan 31, 2010
glasgow
Thanks for the link. The threads I've been looking at were all line drawings so it's nice to see the actual setups.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE