Looking for several sets of flint and steel strikers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
I'm thinking about giving my loved ones bushcrafty presents for XMas/Yuletide. I thought a few handmade pouches with tinder, flint and steel striker would go down well. I just can't seem to find flint or steels that don't cost the earth.

I even contemplated making a few steels out of files but I don't trust the cheap files they sell at B&Q. Might not be hardened all the way through...

Could you guys give me some pointers? Can't spend a right lot, what with the economy and all. :p

I'm hoping to gather enough for about a dozen sets or so. I reckon I might be able to find some old files I could convert in antique shops, though it seems a shame to waste fully functional tools.

Might I get away with buying a carbon steel billet, cutting it down into handy sections and perhaps heating it red hot in a BBQ,then quenching it? I did a bit of forge-work and managed to produce a handy knife once, so I'd be keen to give it a go.

Still need the flint though.

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
Oh! Those look ideal! Very reasonably priced also.

I do already have my own pouches though, for that personal touch. I made them some time ago and never found a use for them, until now.

If I can't find any better (and I kinda doubt I will) I'll certainly buy some of yours. But right now I'm really only looking for the steel and flint. I don't suppose you might consider selling them separately next time you're making a batch?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Buy an old file from a carboot. Hold it in a vice and whack it with a lump hammer. It'll shatter. That's your steel.

For the flint go to a builders merchant and and ask for a sample of York gold for your driveway.

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
Haha! I know how it's done with files. The last file I tried it with didn't snap though - it bent. (!)

They don't make them like they used to anymore. :p Does that make me sound old...?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oh! Those look ideal! Very reasonably priced also.

I do already have my own pouches though, for that personal touch. I made them some time ago and never found a use for them, until now.

If I can't find any better (and I kinda doubt I will) I'll certainly buy some of yours. But right now I'm really only looking for the steel and flint. I don't suppose you might consider selling them separately next time you're making a batch?
:lmao:Yes I would - I just sold a batch of pouches separately to someone who had a better source of flint and steel than me :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE