Looking for leather, advice please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
evening all,

i'm looking to buy some leather, i know what i want but have no idea what to look for or even if its available, so some advice would be good.

i'm looking for some brown treated ( read shiney one side ) stiff / rigid leather of no more than 1.5mm thickness.

any names / links / what the leather is called etc ( ie: point me straight at what i want, not ....go to leprevo as i have no clue what to look for ) would be great.

thanks for any pointers.

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
Sorry to hijack this thread but i'm also looking at getting some leather for an axe mask but there are so many choices i'm confused

can someone help me and give me some advice?

not looking at expensive leather it will be my first project so just looking at getting started

how does the weight of the leather equate to the thinkness interms of mm?

i.e. 5-6oz is what in mm?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... how does the weight of the leather equate to the thinkness interms of mm?

i.e. 5-6oz is what in mm?

I stuck this conversion table up a while back ...

The basis of a leather's thickness/weight is: 1oz is equal to 1/64" is equal to 0.39mm. For each ounce, leather thickens by this basic amount ~ so a 9oz leather will be 9/64"/3.57mm.

Most veg-tan leather will be quoted as being between weights ~ i.e 8 to 10oz / 3.2 to 4mm*. This slight variation in the thickness of a piece of leather is entirely normal.

* It stays in line with the basic measure as listed above - but there will always be the need for rounding of numbers.

Leatherweight_conversionchart_screencapture.png

' Well ... You get the jist :rolleyes: .

Hope it helps (And, before someone asks, yes I have seen leather of 1" thickness :lmao: )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE