Looking for ID on a huge fungus

Mang

Settler
I've put the chewing gum packet in for scale. It seemed like it was made of foam, there wasn't any skirt, white spores or even gills (foamy underneath too). I was going to snap the underside but the camera battery died. Where the stalk joined, the 'umbrella' curved in slighly. Very impressive...any ideas?
DSC00354.jpg

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
Again, noting environmental information makes an ID so much easier. We can see that its growing out of grass, but was it under any trees at all? if so, do you know what trees they were?

Its not screaming b.edulis to me, just doesn't seem quite right but pictures can be very deceiving.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Again, noting environmental information makes an ID so much easier. We can see that its growing out of grass, but was it under any trees at all? if so, do you know what trees they were?

Its not screaming b.edulis to me, just doesn't seem quite right but pictures can be very deceiving.

It's not screaming anything else though, is it? What else could it be? An odd-shaped leccinum, perhaps? I guess it could also just be something rare enough to not to be in any of the common guides. There are quite a few large boletes that come into that category.

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
It's not screaming anything else though, is it? What else could it be? An odd-shaped leccinum, perhaps? I guess it could also just be something rare enough to not to be in any of the common guides. There are quite a few large boletes that come into that category.

I does look like a cep, but at the same time something is telling me that its not one. As I said, it could just be the photo

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Foamy underneath would indicate a boletus. Doesn't strike me as cepe though.

Alex

It is definately a bolete, and not a Suillus. It's either a penny bun, a close relative of a penny bun or a Leccinum. It is also definately not poisonous, but should be left where it is because there's only one of them and we aren't certain what it is.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Brown birch bolete maybe, though often the stems are taller and thinner so not sure ?

Cheers, Paul

Mang

Settler
I'm no expert but I thought it looked similar to the Penny Bun that Uncle Ray featured once. I'm back up to the site on Friday so as long as it's still standing I'll take a pic of the underside. It's standing in a grassy field margin about 6 foot away from trees and 20 feet away from water.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I'm no expert but I thought it looked similar to the Penny Bun that Uncle Ray featured once. I'm back up to the site on Friday so as long as it's still standing I'll take a pic of the underside. It's standing in a grassy field margin about 6 foot away from trees and 20 feet away from water.

What sort of tree?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE