Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-sym hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
HENNESSY HAMMOCKS

The good thing about Hammocks are you only need 2 uprights to use them and don’t have to spend time clearing or looking around for a level piece of ground, also there are no rocks or roots to dig into your back when you’re trying to get to sleep.

If you have never slept in a hammock before you might be unsure as to how comfortable they are to sleep in and if they are as weather proof as say a tent.

I received the Explorer Ultralite A-sym hammock with the bigger 70D “hex” fly and the four seasonal super shelter insulation system and for the past 2 weeks have been out in high winds and rain and only until a couple of days ago sunny weather.

2wlzjt1.jpg

SPECS (Taken from Hennessy Hammocks Website

• Weight: 2lbs. 7oz. / 1110 gr.
• Weight limit: 250 lbs.
• Suspension system:10’ long 1600 lb. test polyester ropes with
1.5" wide by 42" long nylon webbing straps called "tree huggers"
• Hammock dimensions: 108"' x 48"
• Hammock fabric: 70 D nylon taffeta, 160 x 90 high count
• Canopy dimensions: - a parallelogram with - long side = 120" - short side = 70" - long diagonal = 140" - short diagonal = 128" - new design for greater coverage!
• Canopy fabric: 1.1 oz. 30 D Silicone nylon
• Mesh: 1 oz. 20 D polyester No-See-Um netting
• Stuff sack: Logo and set up instructions printed on rip stop nylon bag
• Set-up-time: 3 minutes
• Packed size: 5" x 12"

SET UP TIME

The first time you set the hammock up will take the longest. If you are unfamiliar with the knots or have never set up a hammock and rain fly before it will take you around 10- 20 min provided you have read and understood the instructions which are easy to follow and printed on the nylon bags.
After the first time and when you are familiar with the set up it only takes a couple of minutes. Even with the under insulation to add (due to it still being cold here), I can get setup in about 5-10 minutes.
The key to it being so quick is the “Snake Skins”. As the hammock, flysheet and under sheet are already setup and joined inside the skins, all you have to do is tie either end of the hammock to your trees (uprights) pull back the skins then peg down the guy ropes, It’s as simple as that. If you were adding insulation then it would take as long as it does to add the undercover, a blanket, foam pad etc.

EXPLORER ULTRALITE A-SYM HAMMOCK

27x1xw.jpg

This model from Hennessy was designed for a person up to 18 stone and more than 6 feet tall. As with all the Hennessy hammocks it has many features all designed to make it more comfortable and easy to use.

f2sn5d.jpg
atrkur.jpg

The first and most noticeable is the entry and exit point which is situated on the underside of the hammock. To enter the hammock you walk in to the middle, turn around and sit down, you then lie back and draw your feet inside. The weight of your body causes the Velcro strips to snap shut eliminating the need of a zip. There is a reinforced pad at the point where you sit down to get in.

I did find this way of entry a bit difficult at first as every time I went in or out it messed up my bedding. In the end I didn’t bother setting up my bed until I was ready to go to sleep and I did find it easier to get into my sleeping bag first and then into the hammock. As soon as I was in, there was no trouble with any of the bedding sliding even when moving position to sleep. This design certainly did take out the “Tipping” factor that you get with other hammocks when entering and exiting. The full Velcro seal ensures that you don’t accidentally open the hammock up when moving around inside.

The next feature is a design that’s had a lot of thought put into it and that is the patented “set comfort curve” which is where the main line stays in the same shape each time you use it, keeping your back straight when you lie on the diagonal allowing a better night’s sleep.

To sleep in the hammock you lie diagonally to the centre line, this gives you a bigger area of support to your body and unlike normal hammocks does not follow the curve of your back making it in my opinion much more comfortable.

INSECT PROOF NETTING
2ppeji8.jpg

The “No See Um” netting which is attached to the hammock ensures that it is totally insect proof when sealed but still providing plenty of ventilation, an especially handy feature on warm nights or when you are away from camp. The mesh along with the other fabrics of the hammock is designed to deflect any wind making it more comfortable. Even without the fly sheet on there was a noticeable difference in temperature inside the hammock.

INSIDE

On the inside there are a few additions that I found to be really helpful. First there is the triangular mesh gear pocket which slides up and down the main ridge line this is very handy for storing smaller personnel items like keys pocket knife and will even fit a glasses case. You can then push the pocket up to the top of the hammock passed your head or down to the bottom to keep it out of the way.

10zy8t2.jpg
34pj128.jpg

There are also 2 glove hooks attached to the ridgeline that come in handy for attaching a torch or something of similar size and again they can be slid up and down the ridge line.
If you look carefully you will also find a loop on either end of the hammock to which a Carabiner clip can be attached. These are perfect for attaching your water bottle, pack and other small items that are too heavy for the ridge line. I bag up my boots and hang them from the bottom end.

70D "HEX"-SHAPED PU-COATED POLYESTER RIPSTOP RAIN FLY

2wlug0j.jpg
i6zek9.jpg

(Fly setup) (the tensioner)

This fly (which is more like a lightweight tarp) is larger than the standard allowing more coverage and more protection against the elements and weighs in it 1.9 lbs. It is PU coated polyester and is double width measuring 10’ x 12’.
It has 6 anchoring points which gives it reasonable positioning flexibility. It is factory seam sealed and has pockets for storing the cord which I find to be a very handy detail. Also there is a tensioner (hook and prussic knot) on the main ridge line of the hammock allowing easy adjustment to the fly.

As it is very wet and windy where I live, the bigger fly has proven an asset to the hammock. I didn’t have any trouble with the rain or wind getting in when the weather was bad. I did however have to get out once to tighten the fly up I believe that tensioners would sort that problem out, as I was able to pitch the fly at an acute angle and get both sides close to the ground with still plenty of room underneath to store my rucksack and other kit. It also gives a bigger area to work under when the conditions are better which always make things easier.

atx01e.jpg

(even when pitched right to the ground there is still lots of room under the flysheet a higher setup gives lots of room to work under)

Hennessy Super Shelter Four Seasonal Insulation System

SPECS:

Undercover : 8.75 oz / 248g
Underpad : 11oz / 314 g
Stuff Sack : 0.87 oz / 26g

By creating a gap between the underside of the hammock and the outside air this system is ideal for colder weather and climates.

It is an under sheet that is easy to install and can be wrapped up in the “Snake Skins” along with the hammock and fly sheet if using for a period of time for easy setup and takedown. It also comes with an open cell foam pad which can be placed between the hammock and undercover for extra insulation. You also have the option to be able to store spare clothing, blankets etc in the gap as well putting them to use as further insulation.
In extreme weather leaves, grass, foliage etc can be added. Both the under sheet and foam pad come in their own double end stuff sack. If you were going where it was very cold there is also an over cover available to purchase which further adds to the insulation properties.

The first night I slept out I only had the Hammock and fly set up. The temperature dropped and I awoke with a cold spot on my back. I managed to sleep so that I avoided this area but it wasn’t easy. The next night I used the insulation system with just the undercover and mat and it made the world of difference. I had no cold spots and was very warm. For this time of year and the location where I live I am glad there was the option to add warmth to the set up.

SNAKE SKINS

2wp2c6t.jpg
21o7cp2.jpg

i41w0w.jpg
2wppj89.jpg

The snake skins are an instant stuff sack made of tapering tubes of silnylon. When placed on either end of the hammock, they sit bunched up on the ends of the ropes ready for use. When packing up all you have to do is wrap the hammock, fly etc around itself a few times then pull the skins over them. The ability to do this when the hammock is still attached to the trees means that not only does it cut down the time and effort to pack up, it also means you don’t have to fold your gear up on the ground getting it dirty and wet etc. The addition of these to the setup dramatically improves set up and take down time.

TREE HUGGERS
m9rby9.jpg

Tree Huggers are 42" / 106.7cm nylon straps made to stop any damage done to the tree bark. I also found that they give more grip on the tree than the ropes on their own do giving a more secure anchor point for the hammock. You can also get these in larger sizes if needed

When I first put up this hammock I was sceptical that it was any more comfortable than the next. Two weeks later my opinion is “why didn’t I get one of these sooner”. I thought it would take me a few days to get used to sleeping in a new hammock but I have never have felt so refreshed and comfortable on the ground or up in the air when sleeping out before. With the addition of the insulation kit I was perfectly warm and was surprised when I woke up in the mornings with no condensation dripping on me.

Being durable, light and easy to setup this is definitely my choice of shelter to take with me when going out. As well as being a hammock you can use it as lounger or chair during the day and even as a tent/bivi shelter when there are no uprights to set it up as a hammock.
The Hennessy’s are extremely helpful and are more than willing to help out if you have any queries or need help in setting up your hammock.

Enjoy

CBJ

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
Very useful review, thank you.

I've been wondering about getting a Hennessy Asym Expedition before heading off to help lead a school expedition to Ecuador summer 2010. It looks more or less bug-proof and, given the nature of invertebrates in the Amazon (my personal bete noires are the wandering spiders and scorpions - eeeee), looks like a good idea especially with the fly-sheet.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
hey two dogs give me 2 sec ill grab the camera and put up some pics and info

o8h3qd.jpg

The undersheet is made of silnylon and is wind/waterproof

It is like a bag that has an elasticated all round edge and it works by threading either end over the main line of the hammock. You then put the side lines of the hammock through the corresponding points of the underseet and peg/tie back onto your anchoring point. The sheet is secure and hugs the edges of the hammock so it stops any rain etc getting in the gap.The hole at the bottom is for getting in and out of the hammock.

2yo6fdc.jpg

The pad is open cell foam and detachable, to use it you place the pad on the horizontal (sleeping position) in gap created by the the undercover. It has a large elasticated loop on both the top and bottom allowing you to attach to the main line of the hammock .Also there are the side attachments also elasticated which you thread onto the side lines of the hammock and through the undercover.
If you need to add extra insulation you put it in the gap between the pad and the undersheet

it does sound a bit complicated but after the first time setting it up its easy.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hey Swampy
When I packed up to Leave I just wrapped the super shelter up with the fly and hammock
and had no trouble at all fitting them all in to the snake skins It saves a hell of a lot of time wrapping them all as one.
CBJ

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Great review CBJ, thank's for that.

Thank's to some dutch members here (Mastino, Thijzz, DDokkum) I bought a bargain Hennessy hammock yesterday here in Holland. It costed me only 27.50 Euros! At that price it might be a good source for people in England or other countries as well although I don't know what posting/shipping costs would be.

As mine is in woodland camo it is either a "survivor" or an "expedition asym" model, I haven't measured or weighted it so I can't tell for sure. It also has a hand gun holster on the inside.
It doesn't come with a a tarp/fly sheet, tree huggers or a stuffback (although snake skins are included) so you have to bear that in mind but I can't complain at this price.

Cheers,

Tom

Here's the link to the site of the military surplus shop where I bought it:

http://www.marwiarmystore.nl/

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hey all

I just got a tip from Ann and Tom who say that adding a space blanket between the bottom of the hammock and the undercover(above the pad) gives you extra warmth and still keeps it light .

CBJ

I assume the super shelters are now stocked in UK ??? was looking at these a while back but would have to import from the states
good to know it fits the Skins even with a Hex fly from the pic looks like you have the largest set of skins

do you have all the SS or just the under cover ?? i wasnt going to botehr with the top bit but UK may not stock the individual bits

for the fly you dont need tensioners you can use a Rolling Hitch which acts like a tentioner as it holds position when under tension but slides easily
also works on the elastic guys of the hammock you can use a slip loop on the last hitch bit if you want quick release

a Perfection Loop is also a good knot for loops on the end as its very very easy to undo even after loading and works on the elastic as well

ATB

Duncan

PS is it just me but the Page wrapping on this isnt working so the artical goes of the side making it a pain to read

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hey FGYT

I am able to wrap up both the undersheet and the mat along with the hammock and fly into the skins.I have the whole system which is the undersheet and mat.

Thank you for the info on the knots ill have a go at them next time I am out.

As for the screen wrapping I can read the text fine although I did have a problem reading other posts a few days ago but not now.

DavidEnoch

Feb 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas USA
It looks like the underblanket would block the exit hole? I have not had the opportunity to try a hammock yet. The bottom entry in the HH looks more cumbersome that the side entry but I have nothing to judge that by.

David Enoch

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hi
Sorry I took so long in answering,
The ss does have a corresponding hole and I have to agree with FGYT that it is easier to get into.

I have just had a reply from the Ann who says that they are still making the SS themselves in North America and are
not selling them in stores, but they will ship them directly from their London warehouse
when people order them online.

Hope this helps

just ordered one hopefully here for thursday and the Cornwall RV

and as i spent over $100 i get a free scout hammock including skins :headbang: which ive asked for a size 4 to fit the SS and my current size 3 will fit the scout :cool: :D thats the daughter sorted when shes older

even though i dont think you need the warmth ive also ordered the Top cover as well hope to fit it on one side for rain protection etc we will see

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE